cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potty Training

nadger
Rising Star

Potty Training

You'd have thought that they'd be potty trained by the time they reached uni  Smiley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16983788
12 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Potty Training

but its as they say, I have stayed in places in France and Italy, where the only toilet is the hole in the ground and squat.
and Germanic ones have the tray at the back so that you can inspect - ugh
CX
Grafter

Surely anybody of reasonable intelligence can work out the correct way to use it, irrespective of "cultural differences"? The level of the opening should be sufficient to work out that a certain method isn't appropriate. We're talking about supposedly intelligent people here, not children. Or is problem-solving not a skill young adults possess these days?
nadger
Rising Star

Having been going to France since mid 50s I've used hole in the ground many times - my wife and I used to call them footprints  Smiley
Also used the "Clochmerle" in Paris streets.
Still see some fairly crude toilets in major French supermarkets - wouldn't go down too well in Tesco/Morrisons etc
Bit crude but I recall, in forces, seeing sign in toilet that said " No use standing on the seat the ***** in here can jump six feet"  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

In parts of the Middle East where plumbing systems cannot cope there are posters informing people not to put toilet roll down the toilet but in bins.
Also used to apply to parts of Eastern Europe as well as China - I know because I have seen it. Stinky horrible it was as well  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Imagine if your foot slipped when using one of these holes in the ground.
Even in the trenches in the first world war we had thunder boxes !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Of course when traveling across Romania by train in winter the toilet was a hole in the floor and the snow was blowing up it - not nice I tell you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

An air conditioned toilet doesn't sound bad !
Fixes: 47

But with icicles forming where icicles should never be Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thing that caught out first time users of the pads and holes is
DONT STAND ON THE PADS WHEN YOU FLUSH IIT
nadger
Rising Star

Toilet humour - always wins  Cheesy
x47c
Grafter

When I worked in China the rule was whenever you saw a toilet  - use it.
Reason being that you never knew when you might next see one and you never knew when you might need one in a hurry: so make the most of the one you saw!
This was out in the sticks in the 1980's so it was worker's canteen food you had to eat, not westernised stuff.
Fixes: 125

First time I came across just a hole in the floor was a restaurant in Ukraine. I decided I could wait till I got back to my wife-to-be's house.
The second time I was caught short in a park in Kyiv. Had no choice but to use it. Hated the 'experience' made worse by the lack of paper available. Good job the exchange rate on Griven was favourable  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still