cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Postal

I don't normally post these circular mails, but this one might save you some money.
Sorry if someone else has already posted it elsewhere.
Subject: RE: Postal Scam

May want to circulate this around especially as Christmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:
A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.
If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.
Please advise family members/Friends.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
21 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Postal

It's certainly a scam, but the bit about £15 is an urban myth. IIRC the highest premium rate is £1·50 per minute in the UK, or something of that order. I'll check....
Not young enough to know everything
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Yes - from the Ofcom site -
Premium rate services are advertised on either ‘09’ dialling codes or, in the case of mobile services, on four or five-digit short access codes followed by a descriptive key word (for example, 87654 SERVICE). Premium rate services currently vary in cost from 10 pence per call/text to £1.50 per minute/text. These charges apply when calling services from a BT landline.
Community Veteran

It certainly was a scam about three years ago, but ofcom blocked the number then.  Every year since then, this email has done the rounds, and gets more excited every time.
The comments about the cost are correct, and in fact a parcel would be delivered (admittedly the recipient hadn't ordered it, and it was a piece of cheap tat, not worth the cost of the call), but you did get something.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you Google for some of the text of that letter you will get any number of hits all telling you that this is a hoax. Most of these hoaxes die a natural death after a while, but this one keeps re-emerging. Sad
It's always worth a search on Google or one of the AV vendors before posting/forwarding messages of this sort to stop yourself adding to the problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Didn't think it was technically possible for you to be billed £15 in one go on a landline at least
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, as has been mentioned I thought the highest premium rate call charge is £1.50 per minute, and after that I thought it was a maximum of £20.
So not in one go, but certainly if you end up hanging on the line or repeatedly call them back.
I've heard various scare-mongering stories of how you could be stitched up by premium rate numbers, and the fake ones are usually more dramatic than the real premium rate scams (i.e. say most of the TV quizes).
I got one at work a few years ago warning a woman may knock on your door saying her car has broken down, and while you're not looking dial a number which will cost you £50 (or words to that effect).
Apart from the £50 being false, I can't see anyone going to those lengths to scam via premium rate numbers (which is easy enough to do as the system stands), and whatever body regulates it now (PhonePay Plus?) doesn't lift a finger to stop it.
Though they're not as bad as my old nemesis - Reverse Charge Texts. I had a problem with these about five years ago, and another one recently came back to haunt me.
I had a company who I've never used or heard of before, send me about two £1.50 texts a month (no I don't buy ringtones/wallpapers/games or any other crap like that for my phone). Still after contacting them with a threatening letter at least they refunded me. Not the point though, I shouldn't have had to chase money back which had been stolen from me Angry
At least with 090 numbers someone has to physically dial them from your line, it seems with Reverse Charged Texts anyone can send them, with or without your consent. The networks are generally useless when you query your (incorrect) bill and assume you've been an idiot and signed up for something. They then treat you as if it's your responsibility to chase the people who stole from you Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Ok shot down in flames.
My intentions were honourable anyway.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

When I get home tonight I'm searching drawers and cupboards for wallets I received as presents and they're all going in the glove box. Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
techguy
Grafter

@Petlew
We know your intentions were honourable.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

@Strat
Harold Steptoe: You dirty old man!

Smiley

But on second thoughts, not a bad idea that.
Community Veteran

Before this post gets out of hand with a serious "off topic" given the content of the OP and justified reaction to it. Perhaps a mod would care to do whatever you need to do to remove the thread.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Petlew, is that service revolver you mentioned the other day still handy?  Wink
Community Veteran

@4Candles, did you want to borrow it? you may have to wait until I checked the barrel for a blockage...

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Maybe - but after you...  Smiley
Community Veteran

@ 4Candles Ah there you see -peering down the barrel- there's something there, might be a moving bullet and a puff of smoke, sorry can't send revolver, you'll have to come and collect it, just look for the blue flashing lights.