cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postal Deliveries Get Later and Later

geoffp0
Grafter

Postal Deliveries Get Later and Later

When I moved into my present house 13 years ago my post was always delivered about 6-30 in the morning, in fact you didn't need an alarm clock, then as Royal Mail got better Grin the deliveries went to 09-30 then Royal Mail streamlined the industry and the mail was delivered about 11-30 but now with Royal Mails latest improvement we get the mail about 3 in the afternoon that is if we get it at all, just said to the postman that next year when they deliver the mail if there are no lights on in the house I will more than likely had my Horlicks and gone to bed and to be as quite as he can.
He grunted and stormed off, perhaps I will have caused a mail strike now Grin, has anyone else noticed the decline in the postal deliveries?
Geoff
26 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Postal Deliveries Get Later and Later

We always have our mail by 11am and have had the same postie for years.
No complaints here but we don't get much post these days as so much is done on line.
jmd
Grafter

Our letter post delivery can be anything between 11am and 3pm and has been for a while but last time I had a parcel delivered by Royal Mail it came at 7am!  I was not even out of bed and by time got downstairs he had shoved a card through door!
geoffp0
Grafter

We had our own postie for years but it seems that with the new cost cutting program ect.everything is been changed, posties no longer go in early in the morning to sort the mail, they get no overtime at all now, we get a different postie every day now and if you speak to them they say that they now come out to start their rounds when as before they were just finishing them.
Don't know if this is just an Essex thing Cry
Geoff
deekay
Grafter

We keep getting different Postal Delivery people.
Depending who has 'lost the toss' and has to deliver the mail here that day, it can arrive at any time between just after nine o'clock in the morning, and a quarter to three in the afternoon. So we never know if the post hasn't been yet, or if it has and there is no post for us. It all adds to the excitement of living here, I suppose.
We live in a small Cheshire town, and the sorting office is about a mile and a half away. So we are not isolated in the middle of the countryside.
Cheers
Keith
johpal
Grafter

We have had the same postie for years and are on first name terms. His weekday deliveries have gradually slid from 09:00 to 13:00. However, Saturday deliveries are always 09:00. Something to do with the Sorting Office schedules. Invariably, parcel deliveries arrive between 07:30 and 08:00, any day of the week (Sundays excepted, of course).
geoffp0
Grafter

Ah, now, I wonder if that has some bearing on the subject, because of late I have seen the mail vans out delivering parcels at about 8-30 we all ways got parcel deliveries every afternoon at about 3-30 seems like everthing has turned turtle. Angry Cry
Geoff
Community Veteran

We used to get our post around 11.30am until the post-lady retired and a new man took over.  He is now with us before 8.30am but this is just because he does the round in a different order. 
Parcels are generally delivered mid morning but I don't think these come from the local sorting office any more but from a central point.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's definitely got later and later but we don't grumble as our postie is a nice old fella and we're pretty lucky to have him. Any complaints to RM might see him vanish.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In our previous house  you could set the time by when the postman came, usually around 8.30am.
We moved to our present house over 20 years ago and the postal service is awful.
Can come at any time delivered by a different postie on a regular basis.
No uncommon to get letters addressed to others.
When we first moved in some days we got nothing and then a bundle of letters 3 or 4 days later, almost got the impression they let a pile build up and then delivered the lot.
Not sure why they sell first class stamps as they are often a waste of money !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
Not sure why they sell first class stamps as they are often a waste of money !

Agreed......................think I'd be happy with 1 delivery per week, providing posties had authority to take mail and sell stamps at the same timel.
Better idea would be to give the mobile library an extra task.................mobile post office/Library ( deliver and pick up mail, parcels and packages, no cash dr card transactions only).
geoffp0
Grafter

My wife is Croatian and the town where she comes from the postman is as regular as clockwork 8 am on the dot every morning, if there are any old folk  on his round, as is with my in laws then he even brings the weekly pension in cash for them to save them walking to the post office to collect it, thats service. Wink
Geoff
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Where I live the postman comes at all different times, plus different postman on a regular basis, plus the postman has posted letters addressed to other nabers, and to top it off the postman puts the letters have way in the letter box.
The postman has done this with Bank Statements, GIRO's, Checks, and more on a regular basis.    Angry  Angry
idlewis
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
We always have our mail by 11am and have had the same postie for years.
No complaints here but we don't get much post these days as so much is done on line.

I agree with Nadger where I live but because of puclic sector cuts and people on benefits, People still use the post office quite a lot as some still cannot afford a computer/laptop. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think it's quite apparent that privatisation simply does not work. When public services become private those companies are then out to maximise profit and keep share holders happy instead of performing a public service as the organisation was originally intended to.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!