cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postage Rates

nadger
Rising Star

Postage Rates

Just received package from Hong Kong - Braun Oral B brush heads bought on eBay @ 4 for £4.
P&P  was free but adding up stamps on package came to 5.1 Hong Kong Dollars which is about 33 pence.
How's that for cheap postage  Smiley
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Postage Rates

Seems like Royal Mail could do with some lessons !  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Only bought them last Sunday so overall very impressive.
Went to leave positive feedback and found seller had left me positive feedback yesterday - that's a first as sellers always seem to wait. Perhaps new eBay rules are having effect.
Fixes: 47

The carrier must be running an efficient service.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Just goes to show, we're being swindled...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When I'm buying on ebay I often find that the seller leaves feedback as soon as payment is made.
I get a little annoyed with the variation in postage costs on ebay.  I have recently bought a new printer and the postage varied from £4.99 to £12.99 for the same item from different sellers.
nadger
Rising Star

It's obvious that some eBay sellers try to make their money on postage. I'm sure that we all look at the combined cost of an item and bid accordingly.
Once cost me £38 to collect an item I bought on eBay  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That is what annoys me about Amazon Market place where the postage charges are per item (and expensive) so if you order 2 you get hit with double postage which on something like a microSD card is silly.
Community Veteran

I get a little annoyed with the variation in postage costs on ebay.  I have recently bought a new printer and the postage varied from £4.99 to £12.99 for the same item from different sellers.

If you buy a lot on ebay, then it might be worthwhile downloading the current postal rates from the Royal Mail site, and before you bid, you can check out the price of posting (add in a little for packing, according to item) and if you think it excessive for the item, send the seller a message, advising them that they are overcharging, and you will not be bidding, so goodbye..... it may not do much for the postage price, but it does give some satisfaction (when it does) knowing you have "caught them out and let them know" ! ! !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Speaking of postage, does anybody else use the Royal Mail online postage stamp service? you can print your own stamps directly on to envelopes. No cheaper, but handy when you've run out of stamps.
I find it works Ok, but the process is a bit long winded. And I found it necessary to do the available test print occasionally, as it doesn't seem to print the way up you might expect, which ends up with upsidedown envelopes, which if I recall from my youth, meant something between lovers (or ex-lovers if that's what meant) or was that upsidedown or angled stamps...far too long ago for me to remember things like that!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
does anybody else use the Royal Mail online postage stamp service?

I do and I know loads of other too. Many are running home-based businesses and need to send "stuff" by post.
I find it quick and easy to use. Small stuff goes in the local postbox (a 5 minute walk) and larger stuff in the bag at the local Post Office (just under a mile away)
I particularly like the way you create a complete label with address and return address.  Smiley
Community Veteran

I find it quick and easy to use. Small stuff goes in the local postbox (a 5 minute walk) and larger stuff in the bag at the local Post Office (just under a mile away)

I hope your "local post office" is not on the "at risk" list, due to the number of people who do not buy stamps and other services from them..... Using them just to post larger items does not generate enough "points" for the sub-postmaster to gain payment for the service he/she provides.
Which brings in another point that I never understood..... most sub post offices are run by the postmaster/postmistress as a business, seperate from the village shop.  They provide the premises space, pay business rates, rent, light, heat, etc for that space, which the post office uses for the sale of stamps and services. The post office only pays the postmaster according to the amount of PO business he transacts... no overheads, apart from the supply of items, and cash, and the security facia.
So how can the PO say it costs too much, when a Post Office is not very busy?  The "consultation process" is a myth.
Community Veteran

So how can the PO say it costs too much, when a Post Office is not very busy?  The "consultation process" is a myth.

I always thought the postmasters were paid  a retainer but I could be wrong.
cp:green quote tags fixed mod:end
Community Veteran

There must be some sort of overheads subsidy or the cost savings they are aiming for wouldn't be achieved.  Wink
Community Veteran

I speak as an ex sub-postmaster..... "little village shop type" sub postmasters, are only paid per transaction, more or less on a points basis.... e.g. to stamp and pay out one pension book 2 points..... to iss ue stamps over a certain value 2 points (accumulated over a weeks sales) to issue a tv licence 2 points. etc.... as tv licences and various other "government" departments have decided to "do their own thing", and thus cut down the number of customers using the sub post offices, the village shop has also suffered.
Larger Post Offices, e.g. in towns and cities, the post master is (was) paid on a scale according to the amount of business transacted.... e.g 10,000 - 12,000 scale A    12,00 to 15,00  scale B, etc.... obviously the more customers in a town and city, then a post master has to employ his own staff to man the counter(s)
The post office does not own the buildings used by sub-postmasters, and do not pay rental for the space in those buildings (at least in village shop type post offices).... They may have different arrangements now, as I was a spo about 15 years ago, just before they took away a lot of the business......
#
Edit
#
The points system quoted, and the figures for the scales of business level are only for use as illustration, for the purpose of this post