cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post office problems

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Post office problems

Posted a letter by first class post with proof of delivery last Saturday, checked the tracker page today and it tells me the letter is in the system for delivery.
Phoned the post office who tell me the letter will be delivered but cannot explain why it has not been delivered by now but assure me it will be delivered as there is no guarantee of delivery which can take up to 15 working days.
I Have never heard such rubbish, fortunately the letter does not contain anything valuable but I can imagine it would be very hard for a lot of people to keep their temper under control if this happened and the letter contained something of importance.
20 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Post office problems

That's nothing! I sent a package next day delivery. The system didn't even record that the package had entered the system let alone been delivered. Fortunately it had been.
Razer
Grafter

I've had valuable parcels go missing, and from the same PO. I'm also quite certain I know who was responsible, too. Either way, I got my money back and so left it up to PO whether they could or even wanted to investigate.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yep 1st class can be up to 15 days  Huh
PO tracking is sh1t, you (don't know if it has changed since I last tried) don't get ANY tracking until it has been DELIVERED! Useless! Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had one turn up the other day, posties hand held barcode scanner / signature thingy was broken. I told him not to worry and that I would email the sender to confirm receipt which I promptly did.
I've had other problems though, years ago someone sent me something with postage paid, it never turned up for over two weeks. Postie turns up one day saying it had no postage and that because of that they intentionally delayed it, I owed them postage PLUS a service charge of £1 - cheeky s*ds. I printed out the receipt the sender sent me for the postage and sent him off with a flea in his ear. How do they really think a parcel would get into the postal system? - You can't put anything bigger than a small parcel in the post box and this thing was huge so it had clearly been handled by the PO who just didn't bother or forgot to put the stamps on. Idiots.
I do find them annoying though when I send stuff and they can't tell me what they've done with it when its lost. Even on registered where its supposed to be tracked all the way they've lost things  Crazy I swear when you send something registered its like a big sticker glaring at the dodgy posties that says "This is valuable, TAKE IT". I don't use that service now, I use a courier instead if I need to send something valuable (eg something sold on ebay) as they seem to have a better clue what they're doing. That said.. I had one package not turn up once, seller threatened legal action, we fell right out and then THREE MONTHS LATER the thing turned up - box was utterly battered senseless, ripped, crushed etc. Needless to say the seller got a very sharply worded phone call about their lack of communication with the couriers. I think three months is a mick take by any standards (oh and it was city link in case you're wondering).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
BryanP
Grafter

My experiences is there is no difference between 1st and 2nd class apart from the price
I do use signed for as proof that the letter/parcel was delivered but the system does not produce a signature unlike non-post office carriers
In other words they are a law under themselves
No wonder they are losing a fortune
They have been up for sale for the last few years and nobody is willing to buy them. I wo
Fixes: 47

I've recently had packages either undelivered to me or delivered to an address across the estate.
I've made a small number of complaints to the Post Office online and have received reassurances that actions will be taken.
I'm currently waiting for a small package that is at least 3 days overdue...again via the Post Office.
I'm beginning to wonder why online retailers use the Post Office at all as it must cost them money in lost mail.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@Strat
When you said -
I've recently had packages ... delivered to an address across the estate

was that to the gatehouse to your grounds, or the servants' quarters ?  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm slightly surprised by these comments.
At work we normally use City Link (we rent an office from a shipping company that is part of the City Link network) and get a lot of delivery problems (I used to think that City Link were really good), we now send smaller items by Royal Mail (normally 'Special Delivery') and get very few problems (though our customer's cheques still seem to disappear in the post all too often).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Rentokil the owners of Citylink  has blamed the operational management of the courier for financial year losses of the Rentokil Group. This has been going on for some years. I've had several problems with the Citylink local delivery office. They cost my company in terms of loss of business and we tend to avoid suppliers who use them.
The Royal Mail treat their workers rather poorly, while massively overpaying their bosses (CEO £780,000) so it is not surprising their service can be patchy and items get lost. Following the recent spate of above inflation price increases coupled with halving of service levels we have cut back on the use of Royal Mail for deliveries and only use them when it cannot be achieved electronically
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

If you are receiving goods you have little or no choice in the carrier used.  If you are sending goods then you are able to select the carrier, to some degree, and can boycott bad ones.

At the last company I worked they would change carrier every 2 or 3 years as machines 'went missing' as reported by the customer.
The process would run full circle and we were back with the original carrier and so it went on.
Claims were made against the carrier in most instances.

Quote from: purleigh
was that to the gatehouse to your grounds, or the servants' quarters ?   Wink

The servants quarters unfortunately and you know from personal experience how hard it is to get good, honest reliable staff these days
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I can't comment generally but (as may have been noticed elsewhere) I just ordered a new hard drive from Scan who use DPD and this is the stages when I received an email - the last one confirming the time from DPD with the option to change it if it wasn't convenient
Ordered 14 Feb at 10.39
Order made and Payment authorised at 10.45
Picked at 12.30
Despatched at 12.34
Delivery supposed to be between 16.12 and 17.12 on 15th Feb
Courier arrived at 16.12 as he was waiting up the road for the delivery window to open

Have to say I've never had problems with the usual carriers like DPD, possibly because they offer parcel tracking.
I know the Post Office have tracked parcels but not for standard delivery..