Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Tortoise

ampdef
Grafter

Post Tortoise

A funny from a friend of mine.
Subject: Post tortoise !!!
While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75 year old farmer, whose hand was caught in the squeeze gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.

Eventually the topic got around to politicians and their role as our leaders.
The old farmer said, "Well, as I see it, most politicians are 'Post Tortoises'.”

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post tortoise' was.

The old farmer said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that's a post tortoise."

The old farmer saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain. “You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, he's elevated beyond his ability to function, and you just wonder what kind of dumb ass put him up there to begin with."

Best explanation of a politician I've ever heard.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Post Tortoise

Yeah..... what a pity, that they don`t see themselves in the same way ......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Just like this bloke..

I never quite understand just how he ticks. You can tell him he's morally wrong until you're blue in the face and he'll still come up with a convincing argument that he's right  Crazy
On the surface of things, Cameron seems like a nice guy.. I often have to wonder if it's him or his minions making this country such a rotten place.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cameron " seems like a nice guy ".... so did Hitler.... !.
Not that I put them in the same class....but if I did.... then Cameron would be the Head Prefect..... and Hitler.... ?  well he would be the playground bully...
Cameron has always come across, to me, a s someone from a very priveliged background, who went to a public school, and thought that everyone else lived the same as him.... becoming an M.P. was his "destiny".. and his eyes have been opened, to him, to see, that there are other "classes" of people, who are much lower down the social scale, and that is where he intends to keep them... otherwise, he has to let them climb to his dizzy heights, or he has to slide off down to theirs..... 
Nice guy...
Community Veteran

I did say on the surface of things... IE don't take this literally...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cameron comes across as all talk to me.
He talks tough but fails to follow it through with any action, all this talk of getting us a better deal with the EU is just rubbish and all he will get is a load of promises from the EU and then try to sell it to us as a done deal.
He speaks of being annoyed with the delay in the Chilcott enquiry but what does he do about it.........B all.
Whatever you thought about Thatcher at least she would have got chilcott sorted out.
Community Veteran

I dunno.. he talked of making life hell for the poor and sick and he seems to be sticking to that!
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
He speaks of being annoyed with the delay in the Chilcott enquiry but what does he do about it.........B all.
Whatever you thought about Thatcher at least she would have got chilcott sorted out.

The Chilcott enquiry was set up by Clown Brown. It was deliberately set up to be independent and free from any involvement by politicians. Cameron has no authority to intervene. All he can do is press his case for an early release of the document.
I agree that this matter has dragged on far too long and Chilcott should publish urgently. It appears that the report is being held up by Maxwellisation. Chilcott should give everyone say one month to present any representations to him and then release his report.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why wait for the report. We know who's guilty.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: gleneagles

The Chilcott enquiry was set up by Clown Brown. It was deliberately set up to be independent and free from any involvement by politicians. Cameron has no authority to intervene. All he can do is press his case for an early release of the document.
I agree that this matter has dragged on far too long and Chilcott should publish urgently. It appears that the report is being held up by Maxwellisation. Chilcott should give everyone say one month to present any representations to him and then release his report.
You are absolutely correct about that but a Primeminister has a lot of power should he choose to use it, after all there seems to be no problem when it comes to military involvement in other countries.
Chilcott is clearly not up to the job as he has failed to give a final date for responses to those who appear in the report and their legal teams have tied him in knots, on that basis the final report could well be flawed and should have been undertaken by a High Court Judge or someone with legal knowledge.
So whilst I agree that under normal circumstances Cameron should not intervene, I would suggest these are not normal circumstances as the relatives of these soldiers are suffering.
I also note they may be taking legal action against Chilcott
Community Veteran

When the enquiry was set up many MPs critisised it for not being judge led but Brown wouldn't listen.
I read as you say that the relatives of some of the dead are going to take legal action against Chilcott. I don't know what a High Court Judge can do except try to get a date for the reports release. I don't think the courts can do anything else.
I am sure Cameron is as keen as anybody to see the findings of the report, after all it is expected to be very critical of Bliar and Straw amongst others. I still ask what can he do except attempt to get the report published. he has no power/control over Chilcott.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Why wait for the report. We know who's guilty.

It's been that long i can't even remember what the Chilcott enquiry is every about  Crazy
(and i'm not joking - i really can't)
Steve
Pro

The Chilcot inquiry is about the 2003 Iraq war. Alex Salmond called the delaying of said inquiry a National disgrace.