cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office Jobsworth

nadger
Rising Star

Post Office Jobsworth

My daughter returned faulty mobile phone to Virgin for repair/replacement.
It's been returned but she was out when PO tried to deliver so they left card.
When she went to sorting office, with proof, they refused to let her collect as package addressed to Miss J Nadger and she could only prove she was Miss M Nadger.
I don't know of a Miss J Nadger - there is, off course, a Mr J Nadger but I live 150 miles away.
She tried again, yesterday, with even more proof including Electoral Return Form showing that she lives alone at address.
Still PO refused but have agreed to deliver it to her on Monday  Crazy
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Post Office Jobsworth

A while ago I was in the sorting depot queue and a guy at the front appeared to be in dispute with the man at the counter as words were being exchanged.
The customer climbed through the small serving hatch, snatched the parcel out of the Post Office man's hands, climbed back out and stormed off muttering.
He was a big man and the hatch was small but he was determined to get his parcel.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Why do I have sympathy with the Post Office in this case - because a completed the Electoral Return Form doesn't prove anything and the Post Office have a responsibility to deliver/give the parcel to the addressee and not to somebody else.
The other question is why has Miss Nadger bought a phone which isn't in her name

Wouldn't she just have to prove residence at the delivery address or would the parcel have had to be signed for at the delivery address?
Having said that I've had parcels delivered that needed a signature and they have just been pushed through the letterbox Undecided
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
The other question is why has Miss Nadger bought a phone which isn't in her name
I used to pay for the account albeit at her address so that bit is down to Virgin. They created a non existent person.
Electoral Return was purely to prove that she was sole resident and there wasn't a Miss J Nadger living there.
I just found it hard to believe that with adequate proof of surname and multiple proof of address, plus two attempts to collect, common sense didn't prevail.  Parcel will not require a signature on Monday  Roll eyes

Fixes: 125

Does seem a bit over-the-top considering even if a signiture was required on delivery it doesn't have to be the recipient and whoever signs could just be a neighbour who walks off with the parcel anyway.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Strange I have NEVER had any issues collecting stuff from the PO. Even if a sig is required they never ask for id  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Same for me.  If I have to collect from the sorting office the parcel is given to me on production of the PO card they leave through my door.  My only complaint is that you can only collect parcels between 9-10am Monday to Friday.

Our local office has extended opening hours including Saturday morning which inevitably is very busy.
nadger
Rising Star

Our local sorting office has very good hours, including Saturday, but is on factory estate the other side of town.
Huddersfield is attached to post office and only open mornings Mon-Fri.
Doesn't seem to be any set rule  Sad
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Strange I have NEVER had any issues collecting stuff from the PO. Even if a sig is required they never ask for id  Cheesy

I've not had any problems with PO, but Parcel force, that's different. I ordered an item online (dispatched via Parcel Force), did the tracking and it said it was delivered. I queried it with the supplier and they said they had a signature for it. I checked the signature and it wasn't mine. They suggested I check with neighbours, it was eventually found in a neighbours parcel box. Apparently the driver had signed it himself.
Community Veteran

At least you got your parcel.  I hope the delivery driver was disciplined. A lot of drivers get paid per parcel so they don't want a return journey if they can help it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess we must be very lucky in this area as the postman is quite willing to leave parcels with a neighbour if you are out, this includes signed for items.
Can't remember the last time I had to go to the collection office.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Our parcels are usually left with neighbours, but on the occasions that they aren't (not sure what's different with these ones!) then our sorting office is open from 6am during the week.  Not sure what time it closes, because when I've needed to I've picked them up on my way out to work.  I've always taken some form of ID with me (as it say's I'll need to on the card), but I don't think I've ever been asked for it out of what must be 10-15 collections over the years.
Phil
Community Veteran

Our sorting office is open until early afternoon when all the posties return from their rounds but parcels have to be collected from a small office on the front of the sorting office hence the short hours for picking items up.