cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office Excess Charge

nadger
Rising Star

Post Office Excess Charge

Got a card through letterbox, this morning, saying that there was an item, with underpaid postage, at sorting office and that it would cost £1.19 to redeem.
As the card said item was addressed to Mr & Mrs Nadger I assumed it to be a Christmas card.
We were going to Morrisons this morning so, as only half mile further, I popped into the sorting office and asked to see the item which was, as suspected, a Christmas card.
When I asked the reason for the charge I was told that envelope was too large for 2nd class stamp. I pointed out that nobody had tried to fiddle the Post Office and that postie could just as easily deliver our item as their notification.
Chap pulled out a pile of cards and said that they'd collected the £1 process fee for every one of these this morning. One suspects that someone, at sorting office, had pulled all the envelopes that looked oversize, checked them and written out redemption cards.
I recognised the handwriting so knew who card was from and I know that they'd have been horrified had I paid the charge so I rejected the item.
I'd rather give the £1 to charity.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Post Office Excess Charge

Interesting you say that as yesterday I received an envelope with no stamp.... and no excess charge to pay. It was delivered with the rest of the post.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

probably bloody advertising  Angry
Community Veteran

Alternatively, it could be that the use of the incorrect stamp actually caused Royal Mail an inconvenience. I know that RM's sorting is fairly automated (e.g. they have machines that try to automatically read addresses if I recall correctly), so perhaps the fact the wrong stamp was applied meant that the card was mis-sorted and therefore had to be manually re-sorted, thus wasting a little bit of a sorting office worker's time. If that's the case, it would be understandable that Royal Mail might want to claim a bit of money back.
Another, more simple, thought, is simply that charging for the mistake discourages people from putting on a minimal amount of postage in the hope of ‘chancing’ it.
nadger
Rising Star

Last time I had one of the redemption cards it was a letter from hospital.
The chap said I'd better have it for free so I thanked him. When I looked at envelope it had been through franking machine reversed so was actually stamped with full postage on back and he'd spotted it as it's only way he knew it was from hospital.
Back to my original post it makes one wonder how many people they'll catch this Christmas as most of us aren't fully au fait with current postage regs.
Guess moral is " buy small Christmas cards"  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Royal Mail has been given the green light to raise the cost of a first-class stamp by 5p to 46p next April.
This would be the largest increase since first-class postage began in 1968.
A second class stamp could rise by 4p, taking it to 36p, under final proposals from regulator Postcomm.
Royal Mail will decide next month whether to implement a rise of that magnitude. It currently loses 6.4p for each stamped letter it delivers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11710061
as the price is not on the stamp, I now buy mine in a pack of 100, Large and normal 2nd class, and just a few first class, save a lot bye doing that, nearly time get some more, SWMBO just got tid of a lot
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
probably bloody advertising  Angry

Surprisingly no, it was a Christmas Card.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
as the price is not on the stamp, I now buy mine in a pack of 100, Large and normal 2nd class, and just a few first class, save a lot bye doing that, nearly time get some more, SWMBO just got tid of a lot

I'm trying to get my mother to do that – like you say, it's a good way of saving a bit of money. Not having much luck persuading her to, though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I bought something off ebay years ago which was something I'd been wanting for ages. Finally found one, at a bargain price and bought it.
Over a week later.. it finally turned up.. with a postman at the door saying there was money owing on it as it hadn't had its postage paid. They even had the nerve to slap an extra £1 on it as a penalty (penalty being a power reserved for state use..) after telling me that they had held its delivery back a few days because it had not been paid. I was hopping mad.. and printed the photos of the receipt that the sender had emailed me to prove she'd posted it. Turned out the post office it was sent from had taken the money and the parcel and forgotten to actually apply the postage to the parcel after she'd walked away from the counter. Idiots.
Showed the print to the postman and got my parcel with a changed attitude and a rather embarrassed apology. A week later RM/PO sent me 2 books of first class stamps for the inconvenience after a stinking complaint. They never did explain themselves though as to what gave them the power to delay the delivery of the parcel though in hindsight its a good job they did as the seller wouldn't of emailed me copies of the receipts otherwise.
Worse thing was the item didn't last longer than a few months... it turned out to be duff Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I posted some cards to the US and was horrified when they cost 97p each for the stamp Sad
Community Veteran

You can knock that down to 58p by using Surface Mail – although you rather need to think ahead for that (last posting date for the USA would have been in October!).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Knowing Artmo, he would send it via Bransoms SkyRocket
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G
You can knock that down to 58p by using Surface Mail – although you rather need to think ahead for that (last posting date for the USA would have been in October!).

I didn't know surface mail was still around to the US.  I thought they sent everything airmail these days. Could have saved a bit of money as I sent about 20 cards all together.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Air Mail to the USA is 67p for up to 10g IIRC.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
97p each

That's for up to 20g to most countries outside EU (60p in EU).
It's 67p if you are 10g or less which is probably difficult for a christmas card in an envelope.
Most of my overseas cards were 18g including an A4 letter.