Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office Counters

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Post Office Counters

Howdi Gang
I had to send a letter last year - it needed to be signed for and the local sub PO said it had to go special delivery at a cost of £6.50 - which i nearly choked at but paid it as it was important.
Just a few days ago my missus had to do the same thing... they tried to charge her a whopping £15. She refused and went to another PO where she got it sent for a few quid. Yesterday she went to send a PARCEL as special delivery at the main PO and paid £4.40 - less than my letter!!!
So.. I think I'm smelling a scam / dodgy PO... but before I ring up POC Ltd and grumble, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any idea why they might legitimately be trying to charge stupidly high prices? - EG any ex post masters on this board who could shed some light on it?
I thought they were all supposed to charge the same tariff?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Post Office Counters

Going through http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder shows for pre-1pm special delivery 6.45 is correct.
depends on weight, value etc.
but 15 sounds extortionate.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I am unable to answer your question but faced with a similar problem when I wanted to send something that needed signing for I was advised to use proof of delivery which is much cheaper than sending it by registered post.
This may only be of use if you want to send a low cost item.
I once sent something by registered post which they admitted to losing, they refunded the cost of the item but not the fee I had paid to ebay, paypal, cost of postage for sending the item so I was about £30 out of pocket.
Community Veteran

Slightly off topic but I think a remark worth while.
I bought a new video card for my old computer on ebay, it was only a few £s. It duly arrived at my PO with a bill for about £2 vat from the customs people because it was from the USA. To my surprise I was asked to pay an extra £8 for them to pass the money on!!  Admittedly I could not have taken my £2 to the customs in Southampton for £8, but it did seem a bit steep for a paper transaction by the PO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My local sub po is/was good (they close tomorrow and the sub po moves next door), When I last wanted to send something he said £3.20 1st class parcel (it was a qmax cutter in box in a jiffy bag) I choked at that and he said what about removing the box it was in and having it loose in the jiffy back - result it fitted their silly small slot, cost £1.26 if I remember rightly.
Will see how the new po goes.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

@ 7up  Sounds like your local PO is trying it on, or doesn't know what the various services are for.
If 'next day' is not essential, and a letter is within the parameters
   Max length: 24cm
   Max width: 16.5cm
   Max thickness: 0.5cm
   Max weight: 100g
and not especially valuable, First Class Signed For is only £1·73, or £1·64 Second Class.
Special Delivery at £6·45 guarantees delivery by 1:00 pm next day, or £18·36 guaranteed by 9:00 am.
Source Royal Mail price-finder
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: colintivy
To my surprise I was asked to pay an extra £8 for them to pass the money on!!

I bought a t-shirt recently from the US, was nabbed for £3.99 duty, but the £8 "Handling fee" pushed it up to £11.99 because it was being delivered by RM, not the first time this has happened to me, but, £8 to transfer £3.99 to HMRC is extortion, quite literally as it's a "Pay up or your item goes missing" system... Roll eyes
If the world needs to stimulate economic growth with international trade, it really would be smart to scrap such things so we're not put off buying from outside the UK, especially as the RM is no longer a state-owned service... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Last time I had to pay a customs fee it was with DHL, £5 customs duty & £5 to DHL to administer it.
Just face it it is still RIP OFF BRITAIN.
Community Veteran

We need to hold our own Boston Tea Party like the merkins did to get rid of the over-taxing british politicians... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We do that every five years or so. It's called the General Election.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Nah, that's just takign one useless government and letting another in, got to get rid of them all and then it'd work... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
We do that every five years or so. It's called the General Election.

Talking of which I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that the electoral term was previously 4 years? Am I right or has it always been 5 years?
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Am I right or has it always been 5 years?

It used to be 4 years, then the conservatories & the teaboys got in and changed it to 5 years to make sure they had another year to screw things up...
Community Veteran

Yeah I thought it used to be 4 too.
Is there anything these people won't do to try and stitch us up?
Community Veteran

Oh there's plenty of things they'd do, most not legal though but they'll do it anyway once they change the laws...