cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Early!!

Community Veteran

Post Early!!

Royal Mail is introducing a new method of collecting mail from mailboxes.
Up to 50,000 boxes will not be emptied by a dedicated collection van. Instead, they will be emptied by the postmen as they are delivering letters on their round.
Postmen generally do their rounds between 9am and 3pm so some boxes will be emptied as early as 9am each day. After a box has been emptied if a letter needs to be posted for that day collection it will have to be taken to a box that will still be emptied by the dedicated collection van.
Post Early!!
17 REPLIES
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Post Early!!

Watch out for more cuts in the service - some rural ares could end up having P O boxes.
The shareholders must get their dividends!
Angry
Fixes: 47

I'm saying no more about Royal Mail...suffice to say if I was a member of the Royal family I would be seeking a removal of 'Royal' from the name Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

Haven't the walking post person(s) have enough of the sack already ?Huh
& what is the betting that they will not get a pay rise ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for the heads up on this ..... now I will have to check out our posties route, and see which box he collects from.... then... I can give him back all the junk mail he puts in my letterbox...
( actually, not much comes through because I have a notice on the front door, telling them to put it in the black bin provided by the telegraph pole....... )..
but.. those that do, then I usually post back in any convenient post box.!...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Royal Mail have increased prices above the rate of inflation, they've halved deliveries and now propose to halve collections. It is small wonder people are moving away from the use of letters to email methods.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

But despite all that they still offer a pretty good service. As I've said before most of my first-class mail is still delivered next day. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Like artmo I don't have a lot of problems with RM either however I do think that this latest idea is idiotic.
Its another fine example of a public service being privatised for profit and making a few rich at the expense of everyone else.
I feel for our local postie, he and his younger colleague are very good. If we miss a parcel delivery, I usually go and find him up the road and grab it from him when he returns to his van. I get no "Can I see your ID" or any of that crap the sorting office trouble you with, just a friendly "Hello mate, i got it right here, there you go" type service. He also lives in our street so knows nearly everyone. This will just add to his workload and he's already rushed off his feet.
I wonder how much longer RM can survive. The government clearly seem to think that disposing of it is in the public interest and yet the last time this happened the service standard fell sharply causing them to take it back.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Miss Greene’s basic pay was unchanged from the year before at £498,000. However she also picked up £371,000 in a “short term incentive plan”, £38,000 in benefits and a £200,000 cash contribution towards her pension.
Miss Greene also could also gain another £480,000 if she hits certain long term targets over the next three years under a longer term plan.
- Chief Exec of Royal Mail - That's several times the Prime Minister salary. I wonder why the Royal Mail needs to cut costs by halving the service levels?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I find RM parcel postage extremely inflated - i've stopped using their parcel postage and use Hermes.
I also know in some places in the south that is operated by TNT post and not royal mail, could this be the futureHuh  Shocked
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
... I usually post back in any convenient post box!

I approve and do the same.
Whilst I don't agree with this plan, if the posties themselves have to collect from the boxes then in regard to junk mail and finding it returned to them in those boxes it will perhaps make them less inclined to post junk mail through our letterboxes in the first place, or more inclined to actually check the pigeon holes at the local sorting office to see exactly who is opted out of receiving it in order to obey that notice.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Stopping Postie Delivered Junk Mail.

I find this service works very well, NO Junk Mail delivered by Postie after it comes into play.
RM quote 6 weeks before inception, I found it to be nearer just One Week.
Perhaps the phone Call I made to my local Sorting Office helped, with a note placed against my location.

How do I opt out of receiving any leaflets or unaddressed promotional material?
Opting out of Royal Mail's Door to Door service
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-stop-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddress...
http://www.stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/door_to_door_opt_out.php
Razer
Grafter

People can try and then we'll see how long, and how many phone calls it takes before they get sick and just do what shutter and me do. Like I said:
Quote from: Razer
... or more inclined to actually check the pigeon holes at the local sorting office to see exactly who is opted out of receiving it in order to obey that notice.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

We must have an excellent Sorting Office !!
Over three local addresses, once in place, not a single item of Postie delivered Junk Mail.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
. I wonder why the Royal Mail needs to cut costs by halving the service levels?

But have services halved?  They got rid of the second delivery because due to efficiencies there was nothing to deliver. Their systems allowed all mail to be available for the first delivery.
Comments from posters on here would indicate they are happy with RM's letter deliveries.
If you think about their latest plan it will only affect post boxes which have very little mail placed in them. We have a conveniently placed box at the entry to my road. You'd be lucky to find 3 letters a day posted in it. Surely it is sensible if the postman collects these letters on his round.  Undecided