Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Brexit

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Post Brexit

Reminds of the joke about a pensioner being handed down ten, fifteen years or whatever."

But judge" said the pensioner "I'm nearly 95 years old, I'll never manage that!"

"Never mind" he replied "Just do the best you can" 

😊

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

Whilst I'm in favour of consecutive rather than concurrent terms of imprisonment, the American system of giving someone a number of consecutive life sentences without parole makes no sense.

It certainly makes sure that they won't be killing anyone else,  at least not outside prison......

When you go shopping you buy one article you pay a certain amount,  now if you buy two of same article you pay twice as much,  the shopkeeper does not say 'I will charge you concurrently for those sir,  anything more than one and you only pay for one'.... they may give you a 10% discount for buying two or more...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman 

So exactly how many years should a life sentence be taking into account the circumstances ?

I fully accept that there will be cases where someone has killed a violent partner but there are other cases where criminals are just pure evil....to my knowledge no one has found a cure or treatment for violent psychopaths...Most normal people have some degree of empathy, psychopaths have none so treatment programs are a waste of time and money.

@Luzern 

No one lives for ever.....we are here but for a short period only.....Lock them up for life....the day will come when they will be judged by a power far greater than us ?.....or am I wrong ?

😁

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Life should mean life in some cases, but in others it should also offer the possibility of parole. Putting all inside without any hope defies all humanity but yes, there are those that should never be released even if they are sane and full of remorse as their crimes were so horrific.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Good article by Sarah Vine ( married to Michael Gove )......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7940097/SARAH-VINE-abuse-family-faced-means-Brexit-never-...

One of the readers comments...

'I lived and worked around Europe for some 40 years. I ought to be a Remainer, but I voted to LEAVE. We signed up to a free trade area and customs union. We did not sign up to an unelected, antidemocratic, unaccountable faceless bureaucracy that makes up its own rules as they go along. From 40 years of working with European colleagues and clients, I know the MAJORITY of them think the same. The Brussels dictatorship is hated among the peoples of Europe. More nations will follow us out, of that I am sure'

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Just so long as we do not hear echoes of 'Deutschland Erwache' from Germany if and when they decide to leave. 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

In the EU parliament today Guy Verhofstadt mentioned the fact that Great Britain has liberated Europe twice, something he and his colleagues seemed to have forgotten during the negotiations over the past three and a half years.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Quote of the day...

This vote is not an adieu. This vote is only, in my opinion, an au revoir.’

Guy Verhofstad to UK MEPs leaving Brussels

And this..

https://order-order.com/2020/01/29/full-farages-eu-parliament-goodbye/

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Linseed Oil has publicly criticised Bercow and his rule breaking,  which includes

bullying and ignoring advice from the clerks to pursue his anti-brexit agenda..

In future the advice of clerks will be on record.

https://order-order.com/2020/01/29/hoyle-rebukes-bercows-rule-breaking/

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe wrote:

In the EU parliament today Guy Verhofstadt mentioned the fact that Great Britain has liberated Europe twice, something he and his colleagues seemed to have forgotten during the negotiations over the past three and a half years.

And we've probably started them on the road to liberation for a third time by our having the backbone to stand up to the oppressive EU and leaving it.   Some of them can probably see that and may well follow us if the 'EUSSR' doesn't have a rude awakening.

Edit:  typo

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

If any do leave they could trade direct with us knowing it would be free trade without us dictating to them how to rule their country.

If Russian troops ever arrive on countries that border Russia there will be wide spread panic in Europe....suddenly we will become the best friend they ever had.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Daniel Hannan who was who was the most  prominent Eurosceptic  MEP

before he was overshadowed by Nigel Farage makes his hard hitting farewell speech to

EU parliament..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvckzDuiaf8

Community Veteran

I hear that some remainers are refusing to accept the new 50p coin.

Now if only I could work out a way to relieve them all of this heavy burden.😀

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@billnotben wrote:

... this heavy burden.😀

Well it's only half a pound by my reckoning!