RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Post Brexit

LMAO.gif

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Whilst many of us have doubts about Boris, the fact he secured a good majority whilst at the same time kicked out those troublemakers in his own party was an excellent start.

By imposing discipline on the party he is clearly in control...an essential requirement in any successful leader.

I guess he will task various cabinet members and others to implement policies, if they fail they will get the blame and be replaced, if successful he will share the credit.

From most commentators there seems to be a more positive attitude about the future but for any minor thing that goes wrong we can rely on the BBC to wheel out some deluded remainer to say we told you so.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Despite being proved wrong, certain sections of the media are still determined to poison the debate by distortion. One Sunday morning edition for example leads with 'Farewell to Europe' despite knowing full well that it is going nowhere, the European Union is.

They just cannot let it go and accept this country of ours will now plough it's own furrow, make it's own laws, and amend that ridiculous immigration policy and one that compels us to accept and retain well over ninety percent of those that arrive illegally. 

It's not fairwell to Europe, but it is farewell to bonkers Brussels and their orders, borders, and decrees imposed without popular consent.

So who is going to be the first to claim they have a Brexit day 50p coin? 

I'll be framing my first one after I get it. 😐

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Looks like we got out just in time, this new EU wide legal system would

have driven a bulldozer through our legal system...

Now will the remain voters believe there is no such thing as 'status Quo'

with the EU ( except maybe on % of world trade ) - the new phrase is

'the devil finds work for idle EU civil servants and legislators to do'...

https://independencedaily.co.uk/corpus-juris-not-arcane-threat/

Community Veteran

The EU fails to grasp they are in competition with major markets such as China and the US.....whilst those economies are driving forward and expanding the EU seems determined to saddle member states with much unnecessary legislation and conditions which make trading difficult for its members..

Fringe groups in the EU are now expanding at an alarming rate with their own agendas which may well put future investors off with the consequences that brings.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Interesting article abnout unelected judges eroding power away from elected politicians.

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2020/01/suella-braverman-people-we-elect-must-take-back-co...

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

The last thing we should countenance is the U.S. system of elected judiciary, which puts the politics before law. IMHO opinion as far as is possible the judiciary should be apolitical, but that must not mean it is barred from decisions political, if potentiallydamaging to our democratic way of life.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

very hard to maintain a equal balance between the law and politics 

imo it has swung too far towards the power of the courts and there is clear need for all laws to be subject to review...because some case was based on a law over 100 years ago is it still relevant today.

Most would agree that the law and truth are two different things, if you watched the Christine Keeler program it was clearly evident there was bias towards some.

There is far too much secrecy in this country with files locked away for 50 or 100 years, in the Keeler trial some documents are locked until 2045....what's that about.

Also the case of Dr David Kelly, info locked away for years.....why....what is it me must not be told ?

The government represent the people no court should overrule any decision made by a majority of MP.

We have a speaker who controls what the house does....or should do.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Always thought my views were too simplistic, Judges interpret and uphold the laws which are made in Parliament.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Gods forbid we should ever go down the road of mandatory sentencing as seen in the US where judges have no option to jail people for whole life sentances, or to be given 30 or 40 years in the slammer for the audacity of pleading innocent instead of accepting a plea bargain that might only have got them 3 years. 

We might now have the best system of justice in the world, but it's far better than most. As for justice being blind, try asking a back person especially in the US, a country that has 5% of the world's population yet locks up 25% of the worlds prisoners and yep, well over half are black or hispanic.

Community Veteran

I certainly agree we do not want a system that is anything like the American system....but equally we do not want a system that fails to deliver justice.

There are people who because of their crimes should never see the outside of a prison in their lifetime.

It is clearly hard for many with liberal attitudes to accept there are some very dangerous people about and will remain dangerous all their lives....the priority should be innocent people and proper support for victims of crimes....

How many times do we read of prisoners out on parole who violently attack people for some unknown reason ?

In short Judges should have the power to implement life sentences and one thing good about the American system is if you kill 3 people it's likely 20 years for each life whereas here it's a life sentence but can be considered for parole in 35 years.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed not, but for the majority justice is not served by handing down life without parole.

Do the crime do the time, but not for the most minor of offences or even in some cases the most serious.

Not checked on the ratio of black and Asian minorities compared to others, but I suspect we are following the US with political mileage being gained by being tough on crime disproportionately by a gaggle of judges and lawmakers from a disproportionate background. Add to that the drive towards privatisation and profit and we see the sort of situation where the wrong people get released as was the case recently.

Times change, but remember that judge's comment at the Chatterley trial along the lines of "Is it a book you would wish your servants to read". 

Tough but fair, not tough but biased.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

@gleneagles wrote:

I certainly agree we do not want a system that is anything like the American system....but equally we do not want a system that fails to deliver justice.

There are people who because of their crimes should never see the outside of a prison in their lifetime.

It is clearly hard for many with liberal attitudes to accept there are some very dangerous people about and will remain dangerous all their lives....the priority should be innocent people and proper support for victims of crimes....

How many times do we read of prisoners out on parole who violently attack people for some unknown reason ?

In short Judges should have the power to implement life sentences and one thing good about the American system is if you kill 3 people it's likely 20 years for each life whereas here it's a life sentence but can be considered for parole in 35 years.

@gleneagles  What a question! I'd ask another; whether our perception is not persuaded by the infrequency of such news, that it is magnified. Honest, I don't know, but I supect, it is less a problem than portrayed by press and politicians.

How good is our attention to prisoner training to steer them away from crime, give them marketable skills. Someone, tell me honestly, it's good! It costs. We don't like costs, because our purse moths are disturbed, and 110% success is not guaranteed.

By the nature of humanity some ex cons could at some time cross with the law. How long after rehab and release  is money to be considered wasted, if  ome does reoffend? 2years, 10 years, 50 years? I suspect some will say, I missed 120.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

During my jury service one of the cases was a burglary of business premises from which the defendant had stolen a number (three I think) laptops (Macs).  Part of the sentence passed was for the defendant to pay £200 compensation to the company from which the computers were stolen.  The judge, almost apologetically, explained to us that the amount was set by government and he had no power to increase it.  I don't know how much MacBook you get for £200, but it certainly isn't a whole one.

As you know, murder carries a mandatory life sentence, with the judge usually recommending a minimum term which the home secretary can ignore if he/she wishes.

Whilst I'm in favour of consecutive rather than concurrent terms of imprisonment, the American system of giving someone a number of consecutive life sentences without parole makes no sense.