cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly one of my worst nightmares

Fixes: 125

Possibly one of my worst nightmares

South Africa: 'Dead man' wakes up inside morgue
Mr Kupelo said the man woke up at 1700 local time (1500 GMT) on Sunday, demanding to be let out of the chilly morgue in Libode village, frightening the attendants on duty.
"At first the men ran for their lives," said Mr Kupelo.

I remember waking up in hospital after a bike accident in 1974. All I saw was white sheets and people in white uniforms. I remember wondering if I was dead. I felt petrified.
Still don't know what happened.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Possibly one of my worst nightmares

In the mid 90's I had an open water swimming accident in Minorca -I can't swim as such (I'm negatively buoyant) but, can just about get around with a snorkel and flippers- I was way out of my depth and had got very very tired and beginning to unable to keep my head above water. I remember -just- being near some light boats moored several hundred yards off shore and making one final effort, dragged myself up and called out for help. 
I remember nothing else until seeing a pin-point of light that gradually increased in size and a loud groaning. I had been "rescued" by people on the boats and was laying face down on a nearby beach being given artificial respiration by a bunch of Spanish nurses who happened to be resting on the beach.
The groaning was from the effort of the AR and that my snorkel tube had been forced across my mouth to stop me biting my tongue off (my jaw ached for days afterwards) The fact that I am here now is completely down to a set of circumstances and people being in the right place at the right time and knowing what to do.
I find it very difficult to explain the pin-point of light that expanded. But have heard it described by others as "a near death experience" For weeks afterwards, for no reason at all I would begin to weep quietly to myself.
Perhaps not what you are alluding to Mav, but I can perhaps get closer with you.
In 2000 I had major surgery to my spine. In recovery in ICU I awoke to find a darkened room (it was night time but I didn't know it) in my heavily sedated state and without my glasses the fuzzy images I saw were of white coated wraiths (they were actually nurses) seeming to move slowly around me as if floating. I was also as I had spent the entire surgery face down there had been an accumulation of fluids in my ears making me completely if temporarily deaf. The whole experience was totally surreal and as you say most upsetting.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thejudge
Grafter

You'd been taken to a hospital run by the Klan.  Grin
Community Veteran

Could be right.
I vaguely recall the painting "The Scream" crossed my mind later.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its horrible having negative bouancy
I can lie on the bottom of a 4 metre pool without moving, used to do it to see what the attendants did
But I also has the full life saving gold medal, difficult to get for me as one part of the test was floating, which I couldnt do.
Never got into trouble, and like you used to swim out to a friends boat, who was the Scuba instructor
this was July 96
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
being given artificial respiration by a bunch of Spanish nurses who happened to be resting on the beach.

Seems like you were in heaven already!
Community Veteran

A lot of people have said that Oddball, except they used the old fashioned Schaefer method (face down...best for clearing water from the lungs its said) sadly kiss-of-life wasn't given. SWMBO who was standing in the surrounding small crowd utterly shaken and shaking probably wouldn't have approved.
As an aside. I was kept in hospital for three days. Being pumped full of anti-biotics as they were seriously worried about the polluted water I had ingested. Fortunately, the travel insurance covered it.
I have long since thought that the reason for the weepy sessions was because I returned to the scene several times to see if I could find the Samaritans who saved my life. But in spite of leaving messages with local traders around the beach I have never been in contact with any of them -not from want of trying- all I ever wanted to do was thank them, and I think I felt (and still do to this day) guilty. 

Community Veteran

I was just teasing you of course.
I had the near death thing in 2005 with an infected appendix that had spread to the small intestine (won't bore you with the gory details) . 6 hours in the operating theatre, 2 weeks in hospital and 3 months off work. I am ok now but it was life changing.
I keep thinking about those Spanish nurses though Smiley