cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly lfe threatening floodlights

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Possibly lfe threatening floodlights

I just received a new pir led floodlamp off ebay. I bought it from a UK seller, got it next day (no problems there), but when I opened it the pir stalk was away from the body of the unit. So I opened the unit (It had a short tail with the normal 3 wires on so you didn't normally need to open it) and found the nut was broken on the pir stalk. I also found the EARTH was NOT CONNECTED even though it has a metal case and a chromed stain relief on it. The wire was bared and just loose in the unit.
See attached pic.
I reported it to the seller who has agreed to refund me and said he will check all the stock to see if they are the same.
It might be worth checking yours if you got one like it (10W led PIR floodlight)
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Possibly lfe threatening floodlights

Reminds me of some draper portable floodlights I bought once:

They arrive in the tinyest box draper could create, no padding at all to protect them and the plastic junction boxes on the back were broken. Spoke to seller who said to bin them or keep them as spares and they'd send me another set. True to form, they did send another set but they also came through with a similar fault  Roll eyes
Anyway I got some epoxy resin and fixed them myself - two for the price of one  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

This was well padded, with bubble wrap, the box wasn't damaged so don't know how the pir nut got broken. But the earth wire hadn't even anywhere to go, no terminal etc.
I have added a collar to the strain relief and put the earth on that, and fixed the pir stalk with a new nut - so I get this for free as well.
Community Veteran

Read all the reviews of the similar looking ones - they all have the same earth problem.
I nearly bought a few not so long ago but the build quality put me off.
Fixes: 47

I recently came across an instance of the earth lead lying loose in the box on a PIR LED security light for sale on Amazon.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

That is where I read the reviews for the ones I was looking at Strat.
Earth lead went into the unit but wasn't connected to anything.