cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal poll

Community Veteran

Portal poll

Normally the portal poll matches the Community one, so I'm surprised to see it doesn't – rather than being about Christmas shopping, it asks which hold music people would prefer. Interesting thing is though, the current most popular answer is classical – and I'm a monkey's uncle if a third of people would normally choose classical as their favourite genre of music. Which got me wondering: why is classical music more popular as hold music than it is as music to normally listen to? Huh In cases (e.g. solo piano music) it does cope better with the poor audio fidelity of a phone line, but I'd be further surprised if people are basing their choices on anything technical like that. So what do other people think – perhaps we've got a few people here who voted for classical?
Also, as an side, if Plusnet decide to go ahead with classical and want some advice about choosing something suitable, let me know.
33 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Portal poll

Personally if I have to listen to something while on hold I prefer it to be relaxing.
I would also suggest that the person on the other end of the line would prefer me to be in a relaxed state when we are finally connected.....especially if 'they' are PN CSC Wink Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

I  hadn't seen the poll as I don't often go to the member centre. Have added my vote for classical music
    but would prefer not to be kept on hold at all (of course).
PN used to have 60's and 70's pop music like Mamas and Papas stuff which was quite entertaining but don't like rock music as it just winds me up.

Community Veteran

If they use classical music they don't have to pay royalties.
Community Veteran

Are you sure about that? I don't know much about the legal side of things, but I'd have thought royalties would still be owed to the performers who played the music on whatever recording is used. Unless you're suggesting Plusnet would get their own classical ensemble together? An amusing prospect. Grin
Community Veteran

Sorry I was only referring to the composer royalties.  Normally I think this sort of music is recorded simply for a session fee by unknown performers - I'm sure one of our resident musicians will tell us if this is the case Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having spent 25 minutes waiting on the phone last night, hearing two automated messages.... " all of our operators are busy, but we will answer your call shortly " alternating with " have you thought about having home phone and broadband by plusnet....... go to our website" .... neither of which inspire confidence..... perhaps there should be a choice button...
"Hello, welcome to Plusnet.... we are busy, here is your choice..... (of music)
Please press....
1. for classical.....
2  for grunge.....
3  for pop....
4....for name that tune in 3 quiz.... (answers on a postcard please). 
5....for " Why are we waiting" by the BT SpeedTest ensemble. " Cheesy
amasike
Dabbler

How about some nice soulful jazz music like Marian Meadows, Peter White, George Benson or Kenny G.  There's nothing as good as listening to Jazz FM or even Solar Radio to lift your spirits, relax you and make you feel happy.  People get sick of all these stressful recorded messages and what have you when they are put on hold and I think that a bit of soulful jazz would calm the callers down.  You could even try playing it for your customer services staff while they work. Smiley
Community Veteran

Jazz? Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Well you would be hard pushed to find better than this to while away the time on the phone...

-0Es
after a couple of time, you would be singing along......  Cheesy
and if you have been on the hold for a long time.... perhaps this one

Grin
N/A

Jazz?  Lips are sealed
Exactly Be3G - by the time I was connected to the CS department I'd have steam coming out of my ears.
What would be good is an occasional 'You are 3rd, 4th, 5th or whatever in the queue and peace and quiet for the rest of it.
I reckon that if you want entertaining then you can make your own arrangements.
Even better, no queues at all! 
johpal
Grafter

A couple of Blondie "classics":
Hanging on the telephone
or
Call me
Is this too literal?
Fixes: 47

Poppy has turned into a West End Musical.
Must be some good 'on-hold' music there Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Given that we now get free 0845 access to the CSC, how about no hold at all, just a message that says -
"Thank you for calling - we will call you back to answer your call".
As there is no charge for the user, and presumably  PN's outgoing call costs no more - wouldn't that be cheaper for PN Huh.
and less circuits required as very few people hanging on listening to music on hold.
and less frustrating for the user.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Catz

What would be good is an occasional 'You are 3rd, 4th, 5th or whatever in the queue and peace and quiet for the rest of it.
Even better, no queues at all!  

Would you care to add the above comment to my "Employ more staff ...... " thread in  "Products ideas & Suggestion" ?
It is what I have been trying to get someone to think seriously about....