Porkie Pies?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Porkie Pies?

"Would you consider donating your body to medical science"

I said no but 85% said yes, apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zy97j6f

Ashes in a jar is one thing, but bits in a box when they've finished - no thanks. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Porkie Pies?

When I die, I don't care what happens to me afterwards, cos, well, I'll be dead, so, not much point in worrying about what'll be done to me... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

No argument there twocvbloke, but what about your friends and family?

I plan to be a burned rather than buried (once I'm gone of course) but at least they will have some ashes to scatter and a chance to say their goodbyes rather than get those bits in a box a year later but anyways, this was more a question of numbers rather than intent.

That 85%  just does not ring true to me. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

No argument there twocvbloke, but what about your friends and family?

Well, if I made pre-death requests for them to post my corpse to scientists for them to pull apart, I'd hope they'd respect those wishes... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Only way to be sure of that is make it conditional on getting any inheritance - that should work Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I’ve often thought about getting buried at sea so that anyone that wants to dance on my grave will be most welcome.

Also I agree with you regarding that 85% its a large percentage of people and I think the key to that is the wording of the question “Would you consider donating your body to medical science?”

How many people consider it will be vastly different from those that actually do it I suspect as at those numbers there should be a huge stock pile of cadavers somewhere!

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Only way to be sure of that is make it conditional on getting any inheritance - that should work Wink

Hmm, I wonder how an inheritance of naff all would go down........ Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Mook wrote:

I’ve often thought about getting buried at sea so that anyone that wants to dance on my grave will be most welcome.

Being Ex-R.N..   it seems I am eligible for that.... however... I don`t think I`ll take up the option ...

I have left instructions in my will for my disposal.... either by cremation, or in a wicker basket for burial.... whichever is cheapest... ( being a Yokshuman! )...

Community Veteran

I'll stand corrected to those that know better but I'm sure I was told once that being buried at sea was free. Is this true?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Dunno..... there must be some "cost" involved.... e.g... the fuel for the boat.  the crew pay... insurances... transport to and from the dockside... etc... so I doubt if it would be "totally" free...

Just done a quick google on "Who can be buried at sea".... and  the government require you to have a licence to do this... cost  £175 

https://www.gov.uk/burial-at-sea

and there are specific areas where you can do it...

Community Veteran

Yes, I guess there are the obvious cost such as those you mention, that need paying for, so maybe it's as simple (if even true) that there is no cost for 'a plot' as no one owns international waters. Or it's a complete figment of my imagination, or some ancient TV show reference that's stuck in my head.

Edit:- Corrected typo.

Community Veteran

I'll be buried in my orchard. Apparently you can bury up to two bodies on your own land provided the burial is properly registered.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

You also have to inform the local water company apparently, something to do with the water table?

Best of luck with selling your house - as if digging up dead cats was not bad enough! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

shutter wrote:

Dunno..... there must be some "cost" involved.... e.g... the fuel for the boat.  the crew pay... insurances... transport to and from the dockside... etc... so I doubt if it would be "totally" free...

Just done a quick google on "Who can be buried at sea".... and  the government require you to have a licence to do this... cost  £175 

https://www.gov.uk/burial-at-sea

and there are specific areas where you can do it...

Amazing, I never thought that would be allowed except during a war or unusual circumstances.

I understand a number of doctors leave their bodies to medical research, perhaps their view of things is shaped by their experience.

For me it will be the cheapest option.

Minivanman
Hero

The cheapest option would be to get somebody to inform the local Council after your death because at the end of the day (no pun intended) they are ultimately responsible - although they may try to claim money from any estate.

Other than that, you could be put out with the rubbish - just make sure it's the right week for black bags!

download.jpg