cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poppy sellers

Fixes: 125

Poppy sellers

For the first time we had a caller selling poppies to the door.
I read somewhere recently that street sellers are dwindling due to the amount of abuse they get but didn't know they did door-to-door.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Poppy sellers

I saw a lady going door to door today.  Wonder if it's a change in collection methods.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I lived in a small village, we would have call at the door from the local seller, but not since we moved into the city ( suburbs )...
Fixes: 125

We live in a small village (blink and you miss it as you drive through).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Think we had a door to door last year, but I'd already got ours outside Sainburys. Can't help being slightly suspicious of anybody who sells anything at the door, but like to think poppy's should be Ok.
Got us some wrist bands this year and a couple of those small metal tie-tack's. But still buy a "proper" poppy as well for us both SWMBO wears it with pride although she doesn't get out much.
Nearly always press a £10 into the can.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Petlew
poppy's

Aaaargh! http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108729.0.html ; Tongue
Quote from: Petlew
Nearly always press a £10 into the can.

Forgiven  Wink
Always was, and always will be, a very worthy cause.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I'm always pleasantly surprised at the age range of collectors in my local High Street.  We know the oldest is well into his 80s and he wears his medals with pride.  The youngest are from our local air and sea cadets.
Community Veteran

Yes, our Sainsburys had an ATC officer seller, assisted later in the day by two very young well turned out ATC cadets. They were doing very well with lengthy queues to make donations by young and old alike. Particularly pleased to see many of the young were not being pressured to donate by their elders, they were doing so because they wanted to. There were a few hoodies among them too and of all colours and creeds.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Nice to see that ATC still exists - over 60 years since I was a member  Smiley
Community Veteran

406 squadron Willesden (NW London) my dad was Warrant Officer, I was "promoted" to corporal just before I left to try and join RAF (unsuccessful due the poor eyesight without glasses)
Was sent to Hendon three times for annual aircraft recognition competition, came second once and third another time (due to some obscure Russian types) Was asked by RAF to consider Observer Corp which ironically didn't have an eyesight requirement...declined.

randpwar
Grafter

Warwick, 1068 I think but not certain, from about 1968 to '73.
Remember spending a day at RAF Shawbury where we got to go up in Chipmunk's; you could feel and see the wings shuddering;how they stayed up....Also did gliding and shooting .22 and .303's. I also recall doing gliding at RAF Gaydon where the gliders were launched by winch. You had to be sure not to throw up when the winch 'bit' as the glider seemed to go vertical
Happy days
Community Veteran

Happy days indeed randpwar. We went to RAF Leeming on one camp (an area that may be familiar to some of our members here) that was flying Javelins at the time.  We did our flying from RAF Dishforth. Flew in the tail boom of a Beverley (awfuly hot and stuffy) and several flights in Hastings doing circuits and bumps. Also a flight in a Chipmunk and a glider (when I'm called to the pearly gates and St Peter tells me I can go back for an hour, I want to glide again)
But my most memorable flight was the one of my first ever flight,  in a Anson. It sat thirteen if I recall (but the number is unimportant) I found myself sitting in the single seat opposite the door. The pilot arrived the archetype WW2 pilot complete with handlebar moustache and a silk cravat for neck wear, he even wore an old leather flying helmet. He boarded through the door after everybody else. looked at me opposite and said "you look lonely there, you can come up the front with me" I walked on air to the cockpit and sat in the co-pilots seat with a headset, and chatted throughout the hour long flight with the pilot and ATC.
I was beside myself with utter joy, and the intense envy from the rest of the squadron. Took months to get the smile off my face.
As you say happy days.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've not had a poppy seller at the door for well over 10 years. Peddlars of any kind seem to be a rare breed these days unless it's some bloke from the local double glazing firm apologising for the inconvenience up the road while fitting windows next week (despite them never being fitted).
I remember as a little kid we used to get peddlars regularly coming to the front door with a tray of goods and a strap round the neck trying to flog stuff. I frequently used to end up with a little toy of some sort and by the age of 6 or 7 they had completely stopped knocking. I suppose thats because it was politically incorrect in a service nation.. it was soon replaced by door to door energy salesmen instead  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Ah nostalgia!  ATC doing fine out here despite not a lot of RAF Stations within easy access (usually 2-4 hrs in minibus). I go back to a London school Flight (not big enough to be a Squadron 1944-46. Quite a lot of flying, largely in Tiger Moths (real Biggles stuff), had a lovely afternoon as a sole cadet with RAF crew in a Stirling out over the N. Sea on an exercise. Gliding had not been really available, although I did hear of contraptions call Drag Links (?) which appeared to have the flying properties of a well- aimed brick! Ended up a Regular RAF person on Ground radar for 10 years which set me up with a job.
Our Poppies do not seem to be about so far but will be sure to equip bodies and car suitably. Chairman of local RAFA Branch for my sins and pleased to be a good example.
Cool