Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poppies

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Poppies

It's that time of the year, but how sad to see pimped up poppies on so called celebrities on television.

We all know the sort, those with sparkles on them and worn as a decoration rather than in remembrance. And not all will agree, but do they really have to go around knocking on doors selling them as happened with us this evening. When on earth did that first start to happen.

Full of admiration for those engaging with people and selling them on the street, and more than happy to buy one for a quid or whatever - but to be doorstepped or even worse, ambushed on my way into Tesco's? 

Give me a break, give me some respect... and I'll wear my poppy with pride.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Poppies

Even though I keep my reflective poppy with the little spring loaded clasp to hang it on a zip runner I still put money in pretty much every British legion poppy tin that I see,  often without taking a poppy from the tray.  I hate those pins that they supply and used to use a safety pin to stop myself getting stabbed by a pointy pin.  I do thing that other schemes like Help for Heroes ( which apparently was ring-fenced for just Afghanistan soldiers ) have diluted the message and the funds for British Legion though.

Highlighted
Pro

I have a 'pimped up' poppy, it cost me £28.00 and I don't begrudge a penny of it, sold by and all profits to the British Legion. That probably equates to 28 years donations for a lot of people.  

I still buy the paper poppies but don't wear them as they get tatty and crushed by the seat belt.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

I always pick the basic ones from the tray but usually end up buying more than one over a 'poppy season' because I forget to make sure I'm wearing it, and not wanting to appear as unsupportive I just get another.

But I wonder if they'll have to be re-designed so as not to be single-use plastic items (i.e. those green stems)? 

I remember donating to the RAF100 centenary year charity appeal a year or so ago in a supermarket entrance, and because I put the 'rosette' in my shorts pocket having nowhere to fix it to, I ended up with a slightly ruined pair of shorts when they went through the wash and the dye came out, but a small price to pay compared to that the beneficiaries of the fund would have paid.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

It's that time of the year, but how sad to see pimped up poppies on so called celebrities on television.

"Celebs" do what they always do, at least the current crop do, see everything as a money making self advertising opportunity.

Pretty much the same as the current crop of MP's.

Highlighted
Pro

i'm sad that it used to be called "Poppy Day" and meant something.  Now it's "Poppy fortnight" which somehow demeans it.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@ffox 

Otherwise known as virtue signalling fortnight.

Sad. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Some years ago the British Legion used the motto, 'wear your poppy with pride'. I do not deride the bravery of our forces at all, but the motto rankled for at the source of many conflicts is the arrogant pride or hubris of nations. Since then I have been poopyless.

A tendency seems increasing to demand every one and thing stops at 11/11 11:00 hrs, in private too. We're going dictatorial, while supposedly fighting for freedom.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Luzern wrote:

... Since then I have been poopyless.

@Luzern 

Presumably you've now discovered these, or some variation of ...

Capture.PNG

:winking_face:

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I had noticed, but didn't like to say. 😃

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

I took the softly softly approach with my reply instead of the first alternative which sprang to mind.  😉

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

More virtue signallng, that conspicuous expression of moral values as MP's across the house now display green hearts on their clothing alongside those now unbiquitous early bird poppies. 

How did it come to this. 

No disrespect to any of it, but it's getting beyond sense and beyond any real value, much like the massive weight of medals and baubles that certain members of the royal family just love to wear.

We get it guys. 

Me, I'll wear my red poppy on the day alongside a white one, and be proud to do so.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

funny I did everythign I could not to get issued medals when I was in service (I couldn't refuse the golden jubilee since it was a freebie and I was all but discharged when they popped over with the LSGC after I had done the dekit… still havent bothered to get it mounted alongside the jubilee one/) personally I saw them as an annoyance that needed looking after, time wasted in cleaning and prepping when I could be having a cuppa or something else....

as for poppies ive been rolling out in my wheelchair for the last 5 years and manning a table in the local supermarket for a few hours a day along with the other half, we normally buy ours from the poppyshop online a month before hand, finally managed to get a corp poppy badge this year, been getting the other half broaches and clothing items every year (never cheap lol)

me i'm of the opinion "you do you and i'll do me" this applies to just about everything, if you want a poppy have one if you dont, then dont, I couldn't care less, we get folks feeling like they have to say some nonsense to us as if there guilty for not donating, like why, be proud of who you are and what you stand for (or dont) dont make up BS about not having change (especially when its in your hand) I wouldn't have even bothered to speak to you if you didnt engage me first.... 

honestly I do the poppy stand so I can people watch and snigger at all the potential Darwin award applicants (theres far too many) and that entry barrier really seems to confuse them... 

so yeah, if you want to support the poppy appeal and be proud of the fact your doing something to help those who the country basically screwed over then good on you, if you dont, at least use your brain and remain silent instead of protesting about why you dont support it!

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@nanotm 

Absolutely, and amen to that.

Highlighted
Pro

We went to the anniversary of WW1 to see the poppies planted in the moat at the Tower of London.  We subsequently bought one for each of our children to keep memories alive.

It worries me that few of the current generation have much idea of the bravery and suffering experienced by their forbears. 

Poppies.jpg