cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poppies at the Tower

Community Veteran

Poppies at the Tower

Some fantastic pics of the Tower of London where a sea of poppies have been planted.
Poppies
The poppies are ceramic and represent the 888,246 UK soldiers killed in the First World War.
41 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Poppies at the Tower

Me and the good lady went a few weeks back, I've got to say it was an awesome sight to see, a very sobering one at that. Not sure when our poppy arrives, but I guess we will find a fitting spot for it.
Community Veteran

We were going to visit on Thursday as we were in the West End for a theatre visit but they were warning of very long delays to view.
Am I right in saying the poppies cost £25 each plus £5 delivery?
Community Veteran

I thought they had all been sold, Yes we paid £25 in august from what I remember, apparently we had an update the other day saying our poppy will be cleaned and delivered sometime at the end of november onwards I believe. Not sure what we paid for delivery, can't find the email atm.
Fixes: 47

Mine is due to be shipped:  January 2015
Shipping £5.95
View your order status here http://poppies.hrp.org.uk/view-order-status/?session=48b008534a2bc968813f4981c4c350e1bd215128
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I guess with the number they are selling they will have a major shipping operation. Good news that the charities will benefit so much Smiley
Community Veteran

My wife went over for a day to help plant them - she said it was a very humbling experience.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
I guess with the number they are selling they will have a major shipping operation. Good news that the charities will benefit so much Smiley
An excellent idea for a worthy cause.
Not sure if what I read was accurate as the source is well known for publishing incorrect facts but  it claimed that less than £7 a poppy was going to charity.
Private money was used  to set this project up so it's only fair that the person or organisation doing this should get a good return on their investment, there is no suggestion that the rest of the money is going to them as  materials and manpower cost money but  I would have thought that more than £7 should be going to the charity.
Does anyone have a breakdown of who is getting what ?
Community Veteran

I've read the same article.  As I understand it the Tower of London set up a company with the artist, Paul Cummins, to design and display the poppies.  Charities benefit from the sales. £8.75 from each poppy goes to charities. £4.17 is VAT but I'm sure with a little persuasion the Chancellor will waive his right to this.
The balance of the money will cover costs of manufacture and repayment of a loan taken out to finance the project, as well as the administration of the project.
Community Veteran

It is just a shame the lad crushed his hand in a machine while making them.
Community Veteran

More good news - the chancellor has agreed to waive the VAT on the sale of the poppies as I suggested he would in an earlier post.  This will add in excess of £1M to the appeal which is good news for the charities involved Smiley Smiley
itsme
Grafter

So what different with this that need a politician input than other Charities that HMRC give VAT exemptions to?
Community Veteran

What does HMRC do for charities in this respect?
itsme
Grafter

[quote=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/vat/intro.htm]Who is entitled to the VAT reliefs and exemptions for charities?
In order to take advantage of the VAT reliefs and exemptions for charities your organisation must hold evidence that it is registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales. If it is not registered with them - for example, if it is exempt from registration with the Charity Commission or is a Scottish or Northern Ireland charity - then it must have evidence that it has been formally recognised as a charity by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for tax purposes.
Community Veteran

The VAT relief is actually being paid out of monies collected in fines for the Libor problems. A very good use of the money IMO Smiley Smiley
VAT exemptions would not have applied as the money is being raised by a private company which would be liable for VAT. It is the net proceeds that is being passed to charities.