Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pope wants us to forgive child abuse vicars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Pope wants us to forgive child abuse vicars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26989991

Well, I don`t...... and never will.....
Those vicars harmed the very people they were supposed to nurture and protect from evil doers....
To forgive them, is to give approval of their actions....
18 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Pope wants us to forgive child abuse vicars

Same here
There is nothing to forgive them for
They abused their trust & should be made examples of in the highest capacity
Bring back hanging & hang them from certain part(s) of their anatomy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bent vicars are abusers of their positions of trust. They cannot be forgiven. To do so would be writing off all the hell their poor victims were put through.
Funny isn't it how this comes about at the same time he's harping on about people trafficking. You have to wonder if there is something between the lines going on.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

Chop their balls off.... but do not forgive them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Before you all rush out with pitchforks and flaming brands, the Pope doesn't represent Vicars, he does head a body containing Priests. Only a tiny fraction of those clerics harmed children. Please make sure your ire is correctly focused.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

The Pope title is Vicar of Christ so perhaps he is asking for forgiveness?
Devonian
Grafter

TBH I don't really care what the Popes official title is.
He is still offering forgiveness to men in a powerful role, charged with protecting and looking after children.  They abused their position of trust, and they committed the most disgusting of crimes, so as a Christian, the Pope should saying they will rot in the eternity of hell for the sins they committed.
Some things are beyond forgiveness.
CX
Grafter

Sinead O'Connor tore up the pope's photo on SNL over 20 years ago. Unbelievably the outrage was directed towards her and not the Church and it took years for anyone to do anything about it. That moment is listed as "cringe-worthy" TV, but in my opinion the most cringeworthy part of it was when Joe Pesci spoke out about it on the following week show, holding up the taped-together photo to cheers from the audience.
She was right.
Community Veteran

Just to put things into context, the Pope has NOT asked for the forgiveness of the perpetrators. He has asked for forgiveness for the 'evil damage' done to the children!
[quote=BBD site]Pope Francis has asked for forgiveness for the "evil" damage to children caused by sexual abusers in the clergy.
In quotes carried by Vatican Radio, he described the abuse as a "moral damage carried out by men of the Church", and said "sanctions" would be imposed.

I wish some people would stop just reading the headlines and read/listen to the whole article!
PS: Unlike some previous Popes, this one seems hell-bent on tackling this problem!
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

The Catholic church have always hidden & forgiven all sorts of sins
Considering they are supposed to abstain from the very things they do,
Should then be a no brainer in punishing them that do wrong in the highest capacity possible & make them suffer for as long as their victim(s) & their families are suffering (Public stoning, would  not go a miss)
abstain
əbˈsteɪn/
verb
restrain oneself from doing or enjoying something.
"she intends to abstain from sex before marriage"
refrain from drinking alcohol.
"most pregnant women abstain or drink very little"
synonyms: refrain, desist, hold back, forbear, keep; More
antonyms: indulge in, drink
antonyms: indulge in, drink
formally decline to vote either for or against a proposal or motion.
"forty-one voted with the Opposition, and some sixty more abstained"
synonyms: not vote, decline/refuse to vote; informalsit on the fence
"262 voted against, 38 abstained"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: NedLudd
Just to put things into context, the Pope has NOT asked for the forgiveness of the perpetrators. He has asked for forgiveness for the 'evil damage' done to the children!

Same thing.... how can you forgive damage..... ?  so ,... I bump into your car.... do some damage.... and then say OOOps..... please forgive the damage to your car from my car... ? ? ? ?  don`t be daft...
The damage was done by the vicars..... priests.... again.... same thing... the pope is asking for forgiveness, ... and the wording is such that he is condoning the vicar`s/priest`s actions,  without actually saying so, and using an invisible stance on it, whilst trying to project a positive quoting only .... the evil damage done to the victims.... .
If you think he is "hell bent on tackling the problem"..... then he should have stated OUTRIGHT that is what he is doing..... by bringing them before him, IN PUBLIC....disrobing them,... and prosecuting them in the Vatican courts...
THAT would show that he is "hell bent on tackling the problem"...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would go further and add to that list those who were aware of children being abused but did nothing.
I Find it hard to understand how people who really believe in God can do such things as they must be aware of the consequences when they get to the next life or perhaps they are really atheists and don't really believe in God but become vicars because it brings them closer to children.
There was an interesting program on television recently that claimed that many young priests in the Vatican were gay and sexually active, that's a bit rich as the Catholic Church condemns homosexuality.
Community Veteran

Some typical anti Catholicism being expressed here!
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

Abuse of any kind is still abuse
If you were on the receiving end of the abuse then you will understand why the abusers need to be punished in the highest capacity, more so the ones that abuse their powers of trust
I know that I will never forgive those that abused me in the 70's & wish I could get my hands around their throats & slice off certain parts of their anatomy for what they had done, since they were not punished, after my parents contacted the police, however the police did tell my dad that in no uncertain terms he was not to take the law into his own hands.
I still have the nightmares & I am now in my 40's
& those that hide behind a church should be burned at the stake
Community Veteran

I've not said don't punish the perpetrators. Don't blame the (current) Pope for asking for the Church's forgiveness for the actions of a few!
You will see a tidal change under this Pope - you watch!
Geoff,
York.