cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poorly

N/A

Poorly

Brace yourselves for some sad news: Answered the telephone yesterday to a forlorn little voice - 'twas our very own jmdlp reporting that her laptop wouldn't boot up. It gets to the Windows screen with the bar going across and won't get any further. Suggested Last Known GF and SR but she said that she had tried that but couldn't get into safe mode.
She is going to have  another go today.
I think that she feels bereaved - can't cope at all without the box.  Cry
Any helpful or comforting comments will be viewed and appreciated later if/when she gets it going again.
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Poorly

Please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery Poppy. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

Once again I find myself echoing Strat's sentiments.
Will Moderate For Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Can't offer anything practical, but hope recovery is swift.
Not young enough to know everything
community
Grafter

Amazing how times change!
I remember when I had to get in touch with my Mum..... it was probably a long walk (no car)(no bike)(no telephone) and the problem I had was probably to do with losing my football in Clifton Park  Wink
The only laptop I was aware of then was my Mum's... Smiley
Community Veteran

hope you find the problem and get it fixed, jmdlp.  poppy, does she have a rescue cd she can use for testing?
N/A

Yes, well, Clifton Park is a tad different now than when you were a lad Community but I take your point - how did we manage without our 'puters?
Have located a PC doctor who will make emergency visits so will wait to see if she has been able to do some resuscitation.
Suppose that we could also take it to hospital via Yaris ambulance though.
I just hope that it's treatable or else there will be real tears at bedtime!   Wink
N/A

Am afraid the news is bad - system restore didn't work. Some sort of message about can't read disk.
It's going in for surgery this morning hopefully so fingers crossed!
Artificer - sadly she doesn't have a rescue disc. I can get hold of XP Home and did suggest that she uses that to try to boot from it but she has decided to take it in to the shop. She's just told me that she was aware that the disk was getting full so don't know if that has anything to do with it. Also, the lappy is 4 years old and has had a lot of use. Sounds bad to me!

Spinrite will save you!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

windows needs at least 15% of the disk to be free of data so that it can properly defragment from time to time.  perhaps the disk has gone beyond that limit?
a search on rescue cd will bring up a number of sites where it can be downloaded.  burn it to disk and you then have a variety of tools for testing various aspects of the computer.  memtest86 is an old standby.
manufacturers offer hd testing software on their websites.  download the appropriate software, burn to disk and boot.
N/A

Thank you very much for the advice and help artificer. I am afraid that it looks as if it is bad news.  Cry
The poor thing is stuck in a loop. Chap at the shop reckons that she had shut it down with a programme running but that isn't right.
It wouldn't do a system restore so it's got to be bad. It's a Sony - 4 years old and has had a fair amount of use (no a LOT of use) so am wondering if it's the hard drive that is on the way out. It said something about couldn't read disk.
jmdlp was not at all happy this teatime and is having severe withdrawal symtoms.
It's 3rd on the operating list so she can't fetch it home until sometime tomorrow.
Hope it's not a new computer needed but I have a bad feeling about it.  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A new HDD for about £50 and a caddy for about £25 and she can start afresh.... will (should) be able to access all the files on the HDD by using that as an external drive in the caddy
Piece of cake to remove the old one, and insert the new one..... (best get the old one out first, and take to shop to buy same type )
James
Grafter

I picked up a 2TB HDD for about £105.

Laptop drives remember..
Will Moderate For Thanks
James
Grafter

Mine's usb :p