cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor service by the Royal Mail?

Fixes: 47

Poor service by the Royal Mail?

Yesterday my daughter and I queued in the rain for 1 hour and 20 minutes to pick up 2 parcels the postman had been unable to deliver because my daughter was out at the time.
There were about 25 other people in the queue, we were in the middle so 12 customers served in 1hr 20mins is 3 minutes per customer.
One man was on duty dealing with taking the customer's card, asking about the size of the parcel, going to search for it, checking any ID necessary, taking any payment required and finally handing over the item.
The office was scheduled to close at 12, we came out at 1:30. Everyone received an apology for the delay.
Queues and delays are quite common throughout the year but at this time inevitably get worse with queues forming at the entrance 15 minutes before opening time.
It really could do with a bigger counter area and more staff available at busy times.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Poor service by the Royal Mail?

Why don`t you write a "formal complaint" letter to the manager of the sorting office.... would probably be more effective than having a moan on here....
( although moaning on here is very theraputic, of course..... !  Cheesy )

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is 'Take immediate action' and 1 is 'BIn it', what do you thing the reaction of the management would be to my letter in the current economic climate.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I complained a couple of years back about a postman regulalry delivering letters to the wrong houses in our street (it was like he couldn't read the house numbers), I recieved an apology, an assurance that the member of staff would recieve further training and a book of first class stamps.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

I took the same action a while a go in the same circumstances and received the same response...apart from the book of stamps.
However I don't think the situation I quote in my OP would receive anything like the same happy outcome.
I probably need to take a small tent down the previous night and camp out to ensure first in line. Cheesy
Rich
Grafter

We've had a parcel delivered that required a signature - we were out at the time!  When I checked the online Proof of Delivery, it had been signed for by someone called Thompson.  I complained, but was fobbed off - no apology, nothing Angry
Community Veteran

The point about the "letter of complaint", is that you have a legitimate complaint. and the manager may well not be aware of the problem.... the guys on the counter service, are probably as miffed as the customers, as they are being taken away from their normal sorting job, to deal with disgruntled customers. and that is where it ends.... disgruntled staff, serving disgruntled customers,.... and why... because the management don`t know about it...
OK.. so you can say "its a waste of my time to complain... as nothing will be done.".... WRONG... if you don`t complain.... nothing will be done... and you will waste even more time waiting in the queue next time....  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had a (large & heavy) parcel (miss)delivered by parcelfarse, I was walking the dog so I got a "we couldn’t" letter saying it was at the sorting office. When I checked the on-line tracking it had been delivered & signed for even though I didn't receive it. I had to go to the sorting office and carry a 30Kg package to my car - about 200m- I complained but got fobbed off. The company no longer uses them.
nadger
Rising Star

@ Strat - sorry but I make 12 customers in 80 minutes to be 6 mins 40 secs per customer  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The CEO of Royal Mail has his/her own special complaints team who respond to complaints sent direct from the public. This team seems to have more clout and cuts through the layers of bureaucracy. Dig out the HQ address and send a complaint personally addressed to the CEO. I twice suffered the same problems with our local  collection office, but after making a directed complaint we no longer have those problems.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We got a letter a few months ago from the post Office to say that Parcels would be left with a neighbour (including signed for items) unless we informed them to the contrary.
Seems to be working ok  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I got a letter ASKING me where I wanted letters left if no answer. Nobody else get one of them?

Quote from: nadger
@ Strat - sorry but I make 12 customers in 80 minutes to be 6 mins 40 secs per customer  Wink

You''re right nadger....it's worse than I thought Embarrassed
Fixes: 125

Quote from: shutter
The point about the "letter of complaint", is that you have a legitimate complaint. and the manager may well not be aware of the problem.... the guys on the counter service, are probably as miffed as the customers, as they are being taken away from their normal sorting job, to deal with disgruntled customers. and that is where it ends.... disgruntled staff, serving disgruntled customers,.... and why... because the management don`t know about it...
OK.. so you can say "its a waste of my time to complain... as nothing will be done.".... WRONG... if you don`t complain.... nothing will be done... and you will waste even more time waiting in the queue next time....  Undecided

But isn't it a typically British thing to do... Moan about the hassle and inconvenience amongst ourselves but in the face of authority show acceptance?
John Cleese showed this to good effect in Fawlty Towers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

That makes me "not typically british" , then..... cos if I think I have a complaint, then someone WILL get a letter.... and they usually reply....
the worst service I have ever had was at the local ASDA/WALLMART "restaurant"... (term to be used descriptively, and for no other purpose).... The food they took forever serving, and then having to wait for prior customers to pay their bill, before I got to sit down and eat it, has been lukewarm at best on 3 occasions.... Each time I went back to the counter and asked for the catering manager, complained, and they just put it in a microwave for 2 mins..it came out too hot to eat... so I have just demanded a refund,.... and I make a lot of noise about it too... so that other people know why I am complaining.
to quote a recently deceased person from Dads Army....... "they don`t like it"......
Needless to say I don`t go there any more.... not because I am embarassed, but because their attitude and food service is deplorable....