cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pooping in the Park and Civil Liberties.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Pooping in the Park and Civil Liberties.

What views do we all have when it comes to those ever increasing Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs) that our Local Councils are implementing.... well some of the anyway. 

Pooping in the park is one of my biggest bugbears especially where folks ignore those signs, let their dogs off leads, and do not pick up the poop. My own Council here in Carmarthenshire goes so far as to state on it's web site that "the vast majority of the dog owners are responsible and caring". Well smoke me a kipper, pull the other one, and let me know when somebody actually does get fined that £1000 for totally ignoring those orders.

It's not only dogs droppings and perhaps banning them from parks all together though is it, and there's the rub.

Liberty, the civil liberties and human right organisation quite rightly points out that these same orders are now being used by Councils to criminalise particular, non-criminal, activities taking place within a specified area. Unfortunately, they have frequently used them against the most vulnerable in our society, the homeless and as they also point out, if somebody is forced to beg or spend the night in a public toilet, that’s not a lifestyle choice or anti-social behaviour, it's extreme poverty. 

What a pickle eh?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Pooping in the Park and Civil Liberties.

It would appear that "pooping in the park"  ( and not clearing up afterwards ). can be linked with other "crimes" such as  using a mobile phone whilst driving... spitting in public places, ... urinating in shop doorways ( and telephone boxes) . and indeed smoking weed, and doing drugs...along with misusing disabled parking bays, and blue badges.   

The perpetrators of these crimes, know full well, that , they will do it, knowing it to be "wrong" legally and morally, and they also know that they have to be "caught in the act" and then identified, by the relevant authority.

Knowing that there may be a fine of £1000 or a ban on driving for a period of time, is not a deterrant, to these people, as they also know that there are not enough "authority" personnel, to cover every street, every road, or every parking space, or every green space, ( park or other wise ). and therefore they know that their chances of "getting away with it" will be 99.9%     if they do get caught, it is "just the luck of the draw"... and "up yours" until the next time..

That,... unfortunately, sums up the modern society that we inhabit today... 

Maybe we should take a look at Singapore, and see how they deal with this particular type of crime... I understand that there is absolutely no litter anywhere in Singapore. ( except in the proper bins provided)..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter

and the other thing you do not see in Singapore is.......chewing gum.

Well you might see it but never on the pavement unlike here where we spend thousands paying people to remove it.

@Minivanman

Some of the other things you mention are just down to lack of respect for others or simply lack of thought.

One of the worse examples I witnessed in a fairly crowed place was a youth urinating on a war memorial, much as I was tempted to go and punch him no matter what the cost I knew it would be me who ended up in court..

There are far to many people in this world who have no respect for others and the world would be a better place without them.

Minivanman
Hero

Yes I heard than about Singapore but what with that all the rest we read about the place it does come over as a rather stubborn and authoritarian regime. There again I have a niece living and teaching out there and she just loves the place - but maybe that has more to do with her standard of living and having a nanny for the kids.  

"In terms of Singaporean law, the ban on chewing gum in Singapore can be considered an extension of the littering law. Therefore, the act of chewing gum in Singapore is associated with similar penalties to those imposed for littering. The littering law requires a fine of $500 to $1,000 US Dollars (USD) for first time offenders. Repeat offenders may be fined up to $2,000 USD and assigned a Corrective Work Order (CWO)"

Think I'll give the place a miss Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

Not sure why you would want to give it a miss, unless you are a chewing gum addict !

Nice place with plenty of things to see, in particular the Orchid gardens.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

gleneagles wrote:

@shutter

That's because they've had the sense to ban it. Nothing worse (well dog poo) than a polka dot patterned pavement.

Minivanman
Hero

No nitpicking Mook, but I think chemists there can prescribe it? Not sure why though. Undecided

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

@shutter

That's because they've had the sense to ban it. Nothing worse (well dog poo) than a polka dot patterned pavement.

Not entirely true... it is because they have got the personnel to "police" the acts of littering etc... and those people are very effective in doing the job.  with complete backing of the judiciary/authority of the local council.  I suspect that a good 90% of the populace also back the system on this, because they can actually enjoy the environment that they live in because of the laws and the "police/wardens" or whatever they are called.

We have banned dog pooping in the streets with fines ... we have banned using a mobile phone.. etc.. so just "banning" stuff doesn`t work on its own...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Not at all @Minivanman, this article says as much as it does @shutter's point.

Edit:- Added link!

Community Veteran

Not that everything in signapore makes sense as all new buildings must include a bomb shelter.

Or perhaps it does make sense and they know something we don't

Community Veteran

All this local authority aggression against dog owners should be classed as unfair until the same rules are applied against cat owners. Their animals destroy most of the small wild animals and birds. They also defecate in an uncontrolled manner on other people's gardens and public parks. Our feline "friends" should be kept on leads at all times when outside their house and their owners require to carry plastic bags.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And yet, there's no such thing as a "Dangerous Cats act"... Grin

Community Veteran

Not exactly,.... but I think this "might" cover it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Wild_Animals_Act_1976

Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

and if you really feel strongly about it.... you may want to support this lady in Norwich

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich_woman_starts_petition_for_dangerous_cats_act_after_cat_attack_le...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Feral cats versus domestic cats, big difference, and a feral cat is more likely to attack for no obvious than a domestic moggie, it's like blaming all dogs for being dangerous cos a wolf from the wild did some damage... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Big difference also is that cats own their owners, and for some reason they are not required to be microchipped - not as far as I know anyway.

Shurely shome mishtake Wink

PS. That would be microchipping the cats not the owners, although on second thoughts......