Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polystyene insulated boxes

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Polystyene insulated boxes

We get frozen dog food delivered in polystyrene insulated boxes.

currently, I have about 14 or 15 of these boxes taking up a lot of space in my shed !..

Any ideas on secondary use ?  or suggestions on who to offer them to (other business user?)

Seems a shame to take them to the tip...

14 REPLIES 14
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Polystyene insulated boxes

With the addition of some holes, insulated planters for the garden or greenhouse.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  Yeah... we have got 50 roses in tubs/large plantpots plus numerous other stuff in other tubs/troughts/plant pots... fortunately no greenhouse !.. don`t need any more... However... you have given me an idea... maybe contact the local allotment society, and see if they would like them.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:Seems a shame to take them to the tip...

The wife gets a fair number from her 'special' food supplier in London. Despite it having a recyclable logo on the side, the every 2 weeks recycling people won't take them. Used a number in the greenhouse as plant containers but a couple of weeks ago, I ended up taking a car load down the tip - what a performance that was. Go online, book day and time, enter car registration etc and then you can go dump your waste. And they wonder why people fly tip.

And once at the tip (3 cars?!!!!!, place was empty), it was "polystyrene, goes in the landfill skip mate". So much for being green!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

@shutter 

Loft insulation?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

too flammable!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@shutter 

Loft insulation?

already had that done TWICE, by the council !.... so it`s nice and warm in our house now !... Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Send them back to the supplier for re-use?

Impracticable maybe, but worth a shot.

Or this.  

Personally I'd not be buying frozen dog food if it meant having to find a use for the stuff or having it under my feet. 😀 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

No nowt about, dogs or dog food but why would you buy frozen dog food ?

I thought dog food was available in tins….

🤔

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

Frozen Dog food ,  is RAW food, it comes in small flat packs, (500g)

DOG FOOD.png

which means we can order a month supply, and it is delivered the next day. put in the freezer. 

Easier storage, and easier to divide up ( we only have a small westie, so it doesn`t eat a lot!)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Home delivered frozen meat for the dog.

Well that's a new one on me @shutter - and do you have to cook it, or it just shoved it in the microwave?

We don't have a dogs anymore (ex Heinz 57's, Jack Russell, and one time a couple of Westies) but for us it was always tins of grub for 'em which were easy enough to buy and store plus of course and especially these days, fully recyclable.

As kids Dad would buy scraps from the butchers for our dog and boil them on the gas stove. What a stink and one I can still smell to this day. Mind you, those cheap tins of Chappie dog food my old Mum would buy stank more than a bit as well.

46527_PLA_Chappie_Original_412g_4.jpg

What was it made from, fish bits? 😬

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

We used to feed our dogs, and cat, with PAL who made a claim that was difficult to prove or disprove…..

shutter
Community Veteran

As mentioned... it is RAW dog food... ( if you want more information go to the NUTRIMENT site. 

It is Frozen... so we just defrost it... takes about 8 hours so start in the morning, and ready by late evening.  I also make sure that the tray is lifted up at one end, to drain the fluid ( looks like blood !) from the meat, which makes it less soggy, and easier to portion. I "decant" it into a sealable plastic box, and put it in the fridge for the next days feed.

No cooking or heating involved.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Well yes I noted it was raw dog food, but I did not think for one moment that was how it would be put in it's dish.

Maybe it's just me that finds it odd but still, as long as you don't mind the bother and the dog enjoys it, that's all that counts I suppose. 🙂 

Thomas A. Edison
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Send them back to the supplier for re-use?

Or this.  

One of the suggestions on the linked list is Halloween costume.  Now I understand where the saying 'looks like a dog's dinner' comes from.

@idonno, I think councils decide what they will recycle; our council didn't accept cardboard for many years, they do now.