cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polo Advert

Fixes: 225

Polo Advert

Does anyone else feel a little uneasy about this advert for the Volswagen Polo?

It seems to suggest that you can drive without due care and attention and the car will take care of things for you and all will be safe.

But what if the system that someone has come to depend on fails or drives a car without such a system?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Polo Advert

@Mav wrote:

But what if the system that someone has come to depend on fails or drives a car without such a system?

Then they end up arrested and charged for DWDCA, using technology to pretend they're a good driver is dangerous at best, cars need to go back to basics, no seatbelts, no airbags, no safety systems, just raw, basic driving, you screw up, you end up 6ft under...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

As we all know Technology is prone to breakdowns Sad something like this should be a aid not a replacement !

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PowerLee
Rising Star

The automatic braking systems are designed to brake extremely late & hard to discourage the driver from being lazy & not paying attention.

You wouldn't want to continually rely on the system to do the braking for you on a journey as it wouldn't be pleasant for you or your passengers.

Manufactures wishing to get the full 5 stars from Euro NCAP for safety are having to fit these advanced electronic safety systems else they miss out, insurance companies also offer lower premiums for having these advanced safety systems fitted.

EU laws are also bringing in E call from this April for new cars, the system automatically calls the emergency services with the gps location if the vehicle is involved in an accident that deploys airbags. This will im sure bring cry's from Daily Wail readers of there new car spying on them.

EU laws also mandate tyre pressure monitoring systems, BMW came up with an excellent system that uses the ABS sensors & rotation of the wheels to calculate if a tyre was deflating, the system was maintenance free & fool proof.

EU laws are now banning that system for new cars & making BMW fit the monitoring valves every other manufacturer uses inside the wheel instead - these valves are easily damaged during tyre replacement & there built in batteries will eventually fail meaning replacement to get an MOT pass.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

I can understand the appeal of these system but it could be argued that a car shouldn’t need to have these fitted because if you need them you shouldn’t be driving in the first place. The same applies for cars that auto park, if you need that feature then get the bus.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mook wrote:

if you need them you shouldn’t be driving in the first place. 

True, but there is a world of difference between needing something and wanting it. If some potential customers want these features, then car companies would be foolish not to provide them.

Community Veteran

I agree, there are many things I would like but in reality I do not need any of them. But @Anonymous the real question is ‘Whose idea was is, was it the car manufacturer or the customer?

If it comes from the manufacturer then one instantly thinks sales gimmicks, considering how old the car is and how long we've done without them. If it were the customer then that’s even scarier! Me, I'm thinking the former here.

Of course, even if it were the manufacturer's ideas but driven by research and not sales, then it puts society to blame, where they have to develop these devices to protect us from our own idiocy!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect ‘sales gimmicks’ is the closest explanation to the truth, and we should not be surprised. After all, the car companies have one purpose only - to make profits for their shareholders. If they can achieve that by dreaming up ever more technological ‘safety essentials’, then of course they wil. Using supposed improvements in safety is a powerful means of ‘upselling’. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mook wrote:

if you need them you shouldn’t be driving in the first place. 

True, but there is a world of difference between needing something and wanting it. If some potential customers want these features, then car companies would be foolish not to provide them.

To a point... I agree with you... however...   the "need" and "want"  should be clarified...

Customers who "want" these systems..... only "WANT" them for two  or three reasons...

1... the manufacturers have "sold" the car to them in the advertising... and

2.  Because they see them as a " lifestyle accessory"...  ( like having certain apps already on your latest "smart" phone ..)

Of course... the 3rd reason is... they WANT them.... because the DO "need" them... (because they cannot drive competently without them)....   as already pointed out... if you are a competent driver.... you should not need or want them...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've always wondered what sort of safeguards are built in to the auto braking system?

My favourite scenario is you're in fairly heavy fast traffic on a dual carriageway with a monster truck rumbling close behind.

A large empty cardboard box blows in front of your car.

Will the auto brakes come on hard? Who will be responsible for the resulting carnage from nonsense unwarranted braking?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think with features sold for the ‘convenience’ of the driver (automatic parking etc), the ‘lifestyle’ factor certainly comes into it - in other words, ‘oneupmanship’. For the features sold as improving safety, (automatic braking etc), I think it is more a matter of playing on customer fears - if you don’t pay the extra for this feature, have an accident and your young child is injured, could you live with yourself. That sort of thing!

Community Veteran

@shutter, a Devil’s Advocate mode here.

In item 1 above you say that the customer wants this feature because of advertising, but does this then not convert the apparent want to a need due to the convincing marketing, as that is the whole point of advertising, to convince you NEED gadget X.

Just saying Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Hee Hee ! .Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When I saw that advert I texted my son and accused him of selling his story to the advertisers.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

polo pic.jpgAnd I thought thread would be about 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.