Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pollution

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Pollution

Now how we going to get around that Seems Ryanair come into the top 10 of polluters.

Ground them? Make a vacuum system attached direct to the back of the aircraft engines to collect the CO2? (I suspect other airlines probably aren't that far behind). And why are all these German places still allowed to heavily pollute the atmosphere.

Answers on a postcard please.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
15 REPLIES 15
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Pollution

One thing you can guarantee,... the government will not be adding another 10% "pollution tax" as they did with private motorists....  nor will the local councils be charging a £10 a time to enter their airspace , as in the case of the London robbery baron`s idea for Central London Charging zone.

agedgopher
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Slightly wrong in that assumption since Birmingham ha already been given permission to start charging motorists £8 to enter the inner ring road area.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

What happens if you are unfortunate enough to live in one of those areas.....do you get charged everytime you take your car out or do motorists residing in those areas not have to pay ?

All this talk by the government about pollution but bus services are be constantly cut back and with the reduction in bank branches and other services consumers are forced to travel by car or taxi into the main town or city to access these services.

Bit like the fracking industry, the government want it as it generates money for them but in the next sentence we are being told gas pollutes the atmosphere and will no longer be allowed in new house builds from 2022.

All double talk

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pollution.jpg

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@agedgopher   I was mainly referring to Ryanair, and other airlines, being charged to enter the local council airspace, to land or take off.  ( not the airport landing charges, which are charged by the airport operating company to the airlines) ...

idonno
Aspiring Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

Pollution.jpg

Reminds me of Vietnam / Thailand. Nearly all the locals wear masks while out and about.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
agedgopher
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@shutter 

My apologies I did mis-understand.

idonno
Aspiring Champion

@gleneagles  If I still lived in a city I wouldn't even bother with a car. When I did, I had to get a parking permit and that was expensive and its not as if the parking was allocated. First come, first served. But I did become an expert on yellow lines etc. It's surprising how easy it is to adapt to being without your own mode of transport. No parking problems etc either. But then the infrastructure was there. Train, bus, tube.

Rural living, it isn't so easy but even there, I'm slowly finding out that there are other options available. True, not just get in and drive (you have to phone!!!! - why you can't do it direct online to book is beyond me). And it's not as if the councils / bus services sing out about these other modes of transportation. You have to do the leg work to find out about them.

As for Birmingham, last time I took a car there I needed to enquire about a mortgage to pay to park! Train for me is the much cheaper, easier option going there (even with 2 of us) and takes about the same time but without any hassle once I've got there.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I do see quite a few, usually Orientals, in London wearing masks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason may well be different in London but in China the wearing of a face mask is so that no one see's there face so cannot make a judgement on them.

idonno
Aspiring Champion

I don't know @Anonymous  China is pretty bad in places for pollution. Certainly in Vietnam, with the younger woman its more to do with protection from the sun. Come the evening most take off their face masks, unless getting on the obligatory motorbike.

P1020058.JPG

One thing the Vietnamese women in the towns and cities don't seem to like is having yellow skin. The fortune the women spend on skin lightening products really is huge.

Strange world really when you consider most whites want to go brown. Me? I just go with the flow. Head and arms tend to go brown, body, bright red. I don't do sunbathing! Laugh

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my countries mixed up I should have said Japan and not China and I mentioned it as that was the explanation given to Tony Robinson in his "Around the World by Train" series from a local, who I assume would know why.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

Strange world really when you consider most whites want to go brown. Me? I just go with the flow. Head and arms tend to go brown, body, bright red. I don't do sunbathing! Laugh

Often, perhaps more accurately, referred to as sunbaking in Australia. Smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my countries mixed up I should have said Japan and not China.

Lucky you are not a airline pilot.

Wink

We are born into history and history is born into us.