cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pollution in Sheffield

Fixes: 47

Pollution in Sheffield

Great....Not only do I have to suffer living within 5 miles of Plusnet but now they tell me the air around here is toxic. Roll eyes Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pollution in Sheffield

One would have thought that with the closure on most if not all?, the steel / cutlery industry - the city would now be a lot cleaner,
But on the other hand - at least your PC's seem well paid  Smiley
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Constable-earned-65000-as-police.6010104.jp
A SOUTH Yorkshire constable earned a salary of more than £65,000 last year, The Star can reveal.

It's the traffic which successive councils have actively discouraged without success.
Not me I have to add as I visit town centre about twice a year if I have to.
nadger
Rising Star

Sheffield certainly seems a lot cleaner than when the steel works were pumping stuff into the atmosphere.
I remember once visiting wife's aunt & uncle and they couldn't hang out washing as the " soot" burnt holes through stuff on the line. This would have been in 1963.
Now, when I get my passport out and travel to West Yorks, it seems so clean passing Sheffield - I do miss the landmark towers.
N/A

I do miss the landmark towers.
  Sad
Don't get me started!
With regards to the pollution there is reference to Tinsley there and I read a while ago that it had the claim to fame of being the most polluted air in Sheffield or some such thing. It's hardly surprising as it is a real hub of busy roads, including the M1.
I'm just a bit puzzled how they can tell the respiratory mortality/morbidity is down to air pollution as opposed to other health factors such as poorer quality housing, smoking, education and less access to health services.
Air quality seems no worse to me than it was when I was young but that is only subjective. Certainly in the city centre it is really awful due to the diesel fumes of the many buses.
We used to have a fantastic bus service which was subsidized and hence very cheap. It was well used. Now folk prefer to use their cars as the fares are so expensive and this creates extra pollution too.
Not sure that there is a will to do anything about it because people won't be prized out of their cars (and that includes me).
Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

I noted that the south Sheffield GP in the news item visits her patients in an electric car as  an eco-friendly alternative.
Now call me cynical but aren't GPs on a very substantial salary with the means to easily afford such a second car.
I can remember standing in my Sister's back garden in Wincobank overlooking the East End and being unable to see the far side of the valley a couple of miles away for the orange smoke billowing out of the roofs of the steel works when they were oxygen blowing.
Community Veteran

given there is an electrically powered tram system, that should have cut down city centre pollution.
johpal
Grafter

The Clean Air Act (1956) put paid to much of the industrial pollution in Sheffield in the 60s and 70s. Perhaps we need a new one?
Despite all the buses in Sheffield (let's not forget the trams), public transport in South Yorkshire is abysmal and inefficient. The South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive should hang their collective heads in shame!
@mal0z
There are only 2 main tram routes, plus a "branch line". The system hasn't been extended since it was built, 15 years ago. Any proposals to do so appear to be shot down in flames as soon as they are suggested; people are unprepared to put up with the upheaval (you maybe know about that from the installation in Edinburgh?).
Don't lose sight of the fact either, that the air pollution for the tram system is merely transferred from the city, to the power station producing the electricity

Quote from: johpal
public transport in South Yorkshire is abysmal and inefficient.

...and expensive. Weekly 'Saver' examples http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/southyorkshire/fares/firstweek.php
Community Veteran

Well the Torness electricity power station near Edinburgh is Nuclear  !. and yes the nimby's in Edinburgh have been moaning about the disruption caused by the civil works - and moving the other services such as electricity, water, gas, telecom has taken a long time, but things are moving along steadily now.
I can't say I have been to Sheffield - but I have been to Manchester, Leeds areas , but one good thing about rail privatisation is that the regional railways have improved quite a bit - including in the Northern Rail area, at least since the Dutch railways and Serco consortium took over about 5 years ago.
And Manchester's trams are being extended yet again  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: johpal
public transport in South Yorkshire is abysmal and inefficient.

...and expensive. Weekly 'Saver' examples http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/southyorkshire/fares/firstweek.php

OK Strat...... here is the "same" ticket for Portsmouth,  (also Southampton ) and there is even one that does the whole county of Hampshire for £25 per week....
http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/southwest/hampshire/fares/firstweek.php
Community Veteran

£17 per week for unlimited bus travel throughout a city is not what I would call expensive/

£17 for Sheffield - First Bus
£15 on Lothian Buses for Edinburgh,
£15.75 Dundee Megarider  ( Stagecoach )
£12  Liverpool ( Arriva )

And no car parking charges.

I suppose it's ok if you travel a lot during the whole week but many people I know use it for two journeys a day, to work and back, 5 days. The weekend is usually for the car for convenience.
We had an increase recently.
Community Veteran

But you might qualify for  FREE bus pass - over quite a wide area - and so too would many on these forums !
I I were to use a car to go into town, all day parking would be about £4. plus fuel and overheads
The return bus fair is just over £3
I can drink freely if I wish with no worries and I let the bus drivers worry about the recent icy roads and they coped magnificently.

Quote from: mal0z
But you might qualify for  FREE bus pass

Thanks for pointing that out Mal Roll eyes Wink
Yes I do qualify and free travel after 9:00am weekdays and all day on weekends and bank holidays is not to be sniffed at.
I have my passport with me when I get round to it.