cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pollution - aka smog - in London

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Pollution - aka smog - in London

We all remember - at least us oldies - the problem of smog in London and elsewhere largely caused by open coal fires and the introduction of the smokeless fuels which largely solved the problem

I was reminded of that when I read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38716498

A "very high" air pollution warning has been issued for London for the first time under a new alert system.

Warnings are being issued at bus stops, roadside signs and Tube stations under the new system set up by London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

The rise has been attributed to cold, calm and settled weather, meaning winds are not dispersing local pollutants.

The mayor said "the shameful state of London's toxic air" meant he had to trigger the alert.

"This is the highest level of alert and everyone - from the most vulnerable to the physically fit - may need to take precautions to protect themselves from the filthy air," he said.

A spike in pollution on Sunday was the highest level recorded since April 2011.

However, a spike in pollution levels on Sunday "when there wasn't much traffic on the road, was significant" Dr Fuller said.

The current weather conditions, coupled with an "unusually high amount of domestic wood burning", has led to the highest pollution alert being issued.

So I looked here https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

Exempt appliances that can burn unauthorised fuels

Unauthorised fuels, such as wood, can be burned in exempt appliances such as some boilers, cookers and stoves.

Great - so we solve the problem by banning smokey fuels and then bring them back because they are "carbon neutral"

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pollution - aka smog - in London

"Renewables" seem to have been given a free rein regardless of whatever smoke smuts etc they produce.

At this rate it will only be a matter of time before the likes of Casey's Cannonball Express is let loose on our railways..

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

As a 50s and 60s Londoner I can well remember those awful smogs and what a pity they seem to be back with a vengeance. Out of it now of course and have been for years with my final few being spent in the fresh and unpolluted air of west Wales.

Suck it up guys.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

That's not smog they're currently experiencing in London. It is just a mild mist compared to the real thing from back in the 50's/60's. With a true smog you might see just the hand in front of your face.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

AlaricAdair wrote:

With a true smog you might see just the hand in front of your face.

And that's not a figure of speech as I've experienced smog as a kid and I couldn't see my hand at the end of my outstretched arm.

I had to feel my way along the house outside wall to the street.

No idea what it did to my lungs, probably less than the welding fumes later in life.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

maybe they should get rid of all the diesel trucks, vans and buses then, rather than blame everything else but the actual problems, silly londoners... Funny

Community Veteran

Actually, a large proportion of the pollution came from the near Continent..  this was the mass of sulphur dioxide per cubic metre on the day in question, dark areas worst..

SO2.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

twocvbloke wrote:

maybe they should get rid of all the diesel trucks, vans and buses then, rather than blame everything else but the actual problems, silly londoners... Funny

Don't be silly, it's all the methane gas those dairy cows have been emitting - the government scientists said so Wink

Meanwhile back in the real world, that extra runway isn't going to improve the situation is it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I remember many years ago, flying into Milan, the whole city was smog locked. You could see a grey mass over the city. When we landed I was informed that there was a complete ban on cars in the city that day.
It reminded me of as a kid when my parents and sister smoked in the living room, add some wood smoke from the fire and there was a cloud just a my head height (when standing) i.e. just above the heads of the sitting people smoking. I used to complain (uselessly) about it.

While planes are exempt from the pollution taxes it will just keep getting worse. A single plane will loose more pollution than a hundred trucks and spread it all over.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just as well we don't live in some of the major cities in China, the pollution levels seen in London would be nothing compared to the levels they experience.

Not uncommon to see some chinese either wearing masks or spitting in the streets to get rid of the muck in their lungs.

I fully agree something needs to be done not just for us but for the sake of our children who appear more vulnerable to this type of thing, we have the means and knowledge to reduce pollution levels why we do not do so is another question.

Minivanman
Hero

We should be able to do something that's for sure for the sake of our children (and grandchildren) but I am reminded of the fog of cigarette smoke many of us grew up with. By far the worst was upstairs on the bus - you could cut it with a knife. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

AlaricAdair wrote:

With a true smog you might see just the hand in front of your face.

And that's not a figure of speech as I've experienced smog as a kid and I couldn't see my hand at the end of my outstretched arm.

I had to feel my way along the house outside wall to the street.

No idea what it did to my lungs, probably less than the welding fumes later in life.

And some of the good fogs were a nice yellow/green hue with an irritating smell to boot (just like pea-soup)! Ahhh, the good ole days! Back then there was some real weather. They don't know they're born these days! Huh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

We should be able to do something that's for sure for the sake of our children (and grandchildren) but I am reminded of the fog of cigarette smoke many of us grew up with. By far the worst was upstairs on the bus - you could cut it with a knife. 

As kids we always went upstairs on the bus and sat on the back seat for some reason, we did not smoke but were in the minority.

Found it amusing that adults told us not to smoke but were puffing away on the things. Clearly they did not think they should lead by example.

Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

You should be dead by now from the welding fumes or at least have been squished by a Routemaster in the fog.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles Like overweight doctors and other healthcare staff who stink of cigarette smoke, telling us to lose weight and stop smoking.Laugh