cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polls

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Polls

I have no idea who pays for Polls but clearly someone is making good money out of them, the recent election is one example where most, if not all were wide of the mark.
Another recent poll suggests that an in/out vote on the EU only 43% would opt to leave yet less than a month ago I recall another poll showing that 67% would opt to leave.
In any polls funded by the taxpayer there should be a clause to have the money returned if the results are shown to be out by a wide margin.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Polls

Another clause should be a refund of the money, if the results of the poll did not agree with the person/organisation wanted .  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

When and how do they accost the people whose opinions they poll?
Been eligible to vote since '78 and have never been asked either prior or on 'exit' (not counting the last two as they were postal).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Those geezers and geezeresses you see in the street with clipboards, have instructions only to "target" the particular age group, or whatever the criteria is, for the particular product... i.e.  if someone is polling about ladies shampoo for long hair... no point in asking pensioners ( even if they have long beards)  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I would argue that the polls were pretty much spot on and well within the margin of error. It boils down to how you read them Wink
Fixes: 125

Do the polls influence voting, e.g. so many voting for party x so maybe I should or Y party is ahead so I'll vote tactically to try and stop them?
I have never taken any notice of polls.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The press influences the vote more than the polls I reckon.
Community Veteran

The polls are not canvassed in the street very much these days. Polling companies will telephone people and contact them over the internet. During the recent election I received emails asking me to contribute to polling from 2 separate organisations. I was out of the country until early May but received about 10 requests after I returned asking for my voting intentions.
I believe the exit poll is conducted actually at the polling stations. This, as we know, was spot on.