cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Politics and celebrities/superstars

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Politics and celebrities/superstars

How do you feel when you have one of your favourite  stars come out and air their views on politics in public especially if they believe in something you do not. For me it's a turn off. And would it damage their careers? I heard wrestling superstar The Rock might run for president in America. Then there is Arnold Schwarzenegger who says the Trump presidency is a little hiccup for America. Robert De Niro said he would like to punch Trump in the face.

For me I get a bit turned off, what about you?

11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Politics and celebrities/superstars

Steve wrote:

The Rock might run for president in America.

This year I hope.

No, I don't think it would bother me.

If it was an actor I could still watch the character they are playing at the time.

If it was a musician I would still enjoy their music.

Interesting point though.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think The Rock would be in with a great chance of winning it. I like him and his movies and he is a great crowd pleaser at WWE

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I guess people have forgotten the past Actor-come-Presideint, ol' Ronnie Raygun (Yes, I know it's Ronald Reagan, that nickname's something from an Amiga game I like called Nuclear War!), so today's 'slebs wouldn't exactly be breaking ground with going into the field of polyticks (Poly is many, Ticks are parasites)... Smiley

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Not forgetting the current one was a reality TV host, as well as a corrupt, morally bankrupt, retarded man child obv.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Not just America and not just the high flyers.

Here in the UK we've had a news reader, that guy with a strange taste in knitwear.....and now a clown as the shadow home secretary. 

Could it get any worse?

How about Eddie Izzard as the first male or female Prime Minister depending on what day of the week it was.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Eddie Izzard would be good as PM   Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Here in the UK we've had a news reader, that guy with a strange taste in knitwear....

You omitted Glenda Jackson who was an MP for many years.
Minivanman
Hero

Only because there are far to many to mention Smiley

You do wonder though why some of them go in ahead of that political queue in order to get elected, and a bit of an unfair advantage really - but then I guess it's just another type of bandwagon jumping such as the Kinnock's engage in.

Perverse politics by celebrities on the cheap perhaps, although Glenda Jackson seemed dedicated enough as an MP if I'm honest as well as being a fine actress.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

Steve wrote:

How do you feel when you have one of your favourite  stars come out and air their views on politics in public especially if they believe in something you do not.

I feel that 'celebrities' have a duty of responsibility as there are some people who will hang on to everything they say as gospel without thinking further for themselves.

Everyone has a right to express an opinion but, personally, I feel that some of these so-called celebrities use their position to influence their followers (and, possibly, for their own gain) when it would be better to keep quiet. Lily Allen comes to mind.

There's an old saying; Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

That Lily Allen is not on my radar (very few if any of the 'younger' singers are) but a quick check on Wiki, and on politics at least she comes over as a bit of a silver spooned sneak. 

Allegedly Wink 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Add Johnny Depp to the list. Ok it was a joke but I wonder what would happen if I joked publicly in the same way.  https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/23/johnny-depp-jokes-about-killing-trump-in-glastonbury-ap...