cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Political correctness has brought this country to its knees.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Political correctness has brought this country to its knees.

@John_Hull 

Absolutely not, political correctness does not been you are "being criticised for being deliberately offensive", it is being obliged to use language in order not to be offensive as has been pointed out, and even when no offence is intended.

What we now have is a woke world where across a whole spectrum people deem it their sole purpose in life to be upset about even the most trivial of comments. Alongside of this we now have the cancel culture which has become a cudgel in order to stifle debate and we don't have to look much further than this forum to see both in action.   

If somebody is being deliberately offensive then sure, call them out on it, but lets not start wetting our pants when somebody even questions what is on our plate as happened recently where a complaint was made about using the term Asian salad. Greek salad was fine but Asian salad, well that's racist! 

Political correctness might not have quite brought this country to it's knees, but it has obliged many to go down on at least one of them. 

Take your pick it's all out there, but Gawd help us.

I can say that, right?

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@John_Hull wrote:

Absolutely! You're free to make derogatory and offensive remarks about people minding their own business and following their religious convictions, and I'm free to call you out as a racist and a bigot.

I hope you're not offended, I'm just "saying it as it is".

Bolded bit - try being a Christian in some countries and see what happens.

John
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

What does "woke" mean?

adjective
INFORMALUS
  1. alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

If being "woke" means being alert to injustice in society, then count me as hopefully being "woke".
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

We're not in other countries. We're in the UK, and we pride ourselves in being better.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@John_Hull wrote:

Absolutely! You're free to make derogatory and offensive remarks about people minding their own business and following their religious convictions, and I'm free to call you out as a racist and a bigot.

I hope you're not offended, I'm just "saying it as it is".

But the point is that many times these days you've only got to say something that is twistable-ish and someone WILL deliberately twist it in order to throw those accusations at you and get a kick.

Here's an example, a few years ago right here on this very forum i stated factually that most polish fellas that i knew were dodgy - running scams and doing dodgy stuff. Now i literally knew people who were importing cheap fags, filling up their cars with red diesel, driving to the local shop in an untaxed, uninsured, car etc. I had plenty of polish contacts that could have got me anything done at the right price.

For speaking factually and from experience, I was accused of being racist - having personal friendships with many polish fellas. What nobody here dared to acknowledge at the time was that i was shacked up with a polish girl - because that was a difficult inconvenience to acknowledge when you're desperate to throw a racism card. How could i be racist against polish people when i was living with one? - nobody has ever owned up nor apologised but they had their fun tainting me and making me live with that accusation over my head.

The plusnet staff knew better - I had many PMs from staff and mods about it all but despite that, my post was removed because many of the members here deemed me racist - against my then partner (and for those reading this who remember and reported, I do hope you're proud!). The clued up and supportive ones knew my circumstances, the idiots of the forum acted like uneducated chavs - or the great unwashed as is politically correct among the upper classes.

THAT is how political correctness is damaging things. It's easier to sling mud and think about consequences after rather than stay calm and leave the mud to the daisys.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

Well said, @7up Thumbs_Up

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@John_Hull wrote:

And the benefit to mankind would be  ? ? ? ?? 

Answers on a postcard to ........nobody in particular... ( in case you offend them ) Shocked

closing date........ sometime never ( as this will run and run....  !  GrinCheesyGrin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@John_Hull 

"If being woke means being alert to injustice in society, then count me as hopefully being woke".

The origin might well have been to do with racism and indeed it was, originating as it did with the black communities of the US but the original meaning does not always coincide with application. Calling somebody a weasel does not mean they are one.
I would argue that most peoples understanding of the word especially on this side of the pond, the word "woke" has come to mean an over the top awareness and sensitivity to just about anything.... and I do mean just about anything.   

Let's all be alert to injustices in society, but let's be sensible not silly which has what being woke has become. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

E2t2Du-WUAMTrxv.jpg

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

But is the tide turning……

Chairman of the National Trust was forced to resign due to pushing this ‘woke’ agenda.

I get the impression an increasing number of people are getting fed up of this political correctness nonsense and as others have pointed out it’s more about what you are meaning to say rather than someone’s incorrect interpretation of what you say.

In most cases it quite clear if someone is being offensive, it’s not offensive if I tell you to go away but using less less words which have the same meaning…that would be offensive 

😉

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The Labour leader of our local council has been 'replaced' by his own party and the new 'cabinet' has been announced.

We now have: Member for climate action, member for inclusive economy, member for genuinely affordable homes, member for good growth, member for decent living incomes, member for thriving communities, member for fairer start, member for tackling inequality, member for healthy lives.

It's nice to see the unemployment rate amongst adjectives is coming down at least.

shutter
Community Veteran

What a load of labour jobsworths..... jobs for the boys?   oops   can`t say that.. may offend the ladies ... and "others" ...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Do all the members have members, or has affirmative action all-women shortlists (AWS) been applied? 😉

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Caught this earlier whilst trawling the news over my morning tea and toast.

Armed forces to become gender neutral. 

Crumbs.  

shutter
Community Veteran

Like most of this stuff.... it is a "knee jerk reaction" to a minority set of trouble makers.... by those at the top end of any society, where they think they "must" do something, otherwise they will be targeted for more of the same... either verbally ( press/.tv inteview etc) or worse.

An interesting article to read... especially if you go all the way down and read this part ...

“I’m not convinced that changing the names of historic ranks addresses this,

nor am I convinced that there is a clamouring for these changes by women.

“Even if it is gendered, most of us see a rank in terms of status.

The danger of making allowances is that it takes the focus off us as soldiers or able seamen and puts it on the fact that we are women – precisely what we want to avoid.”

One female able seaman said:” I’m an able seaman. That’s my rank and I’m proud of it.”

in other words.... it`s more likely to  be counter productive than effective