cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Political correctness has brought this country to its knees.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Political correctness has brought this country to its knees.

Once upon a time you could say what you thought quite boldly and nobody would challenge it unless they thought they had a valid point.

Since Blair came to power and political correctness went into a frenzy, everybody looks for a reason to be offended about even the smallest of comments. Now a lot of people speak in opposites in order to make their point.. and it's become so bad that an american is ridiculing us for it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9579821/American-comedian-living-London-exposes-English-p...

And she makes a bloody good point!

Why are we being so delicate these days? We need to stop this nonsense, our country is crumbling and purely by coincidence (see what i did there?) no other country is as delicate as ours about even the most trivial issues.

We can't possibly close our borders to countries with a dangerous new covid variant for example.. we'd be racist.. and yet New Zealand and Australia did just that - and put their nation first.

Sorry for the rant but that american has made a good point about us brits.. and given the covid / indian variant [-Censored-] that's going on and our PM still deliberately importing it i'm bloody livid with the state of the current political elite.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
35 REPLIES 35
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

Re: Political correctness has brought this country to its knees.

I agree with all you say, @7up , but to me the referenced DM article is more about excessive British politeness than PC.

@7up wrote:

Since Blair came to power and political correctness went into a frenzy, everybody looks for a reason to be offended about even the smallest of comments.

A prime example here , where someone gets suspended for expressing a valid opinion.

Warning: the Internet may contain traces of nuts

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 192

@7up 

The very suggestion that you should consider saying what you think. You daren't speak without fear of offending some sensitive poor soul, see https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/lner-train-conductors-ladies-and-gentleman-complaint-non-binary-p...

The current fear of being called racist/sexphobic, with more variations then I can get my head around etc. probably makes it best that we do not speak outside of our own circle.

I gave up when I learnt that a wolf whistle is a form of sexual assault.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@7up 

Totally agree and nothing boils my 'you know what' quicker.

It's not an age thing either as my (now adult) kids all say the exactly the same. Funny thing though because I was watching the great Billy Connolly on You Tube last night on this very subject. Must be all of ten years old now but this video is absolutely hilarious... except for the easily offended politically correct brigade of course.

You have been warned.  😋

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

And then we have the LNER guard announcement debacle this week 🙄

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I agree, the PC Brigade will want to ban anything to cause a fuss.

Next thing is you can't mention your sex (the words male and female will be banned), your sexuality and skin colour.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Alex wrote:

I agree, the PC Brigade will want to ban anything to cause a fuss.

And this is the very root of it - people seeking to kick up a stink, makes others lives difficult and claim some attention for themselves.

I blame Karen from facebook..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

What would you like to say that you can't?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Apart from saying that you think x, y and z should be put should be put up against a wall and be shot, well there's eugenics, disability mental and physical, Muslims, gay pride, race.... jeepers, how long a list do you want?

It's a minefield of the easily offended out there with humour being the only safe passage... at least for now anyway.

Oh, and never ever say the word "bomb" in public. 🙂

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

As far as I can see, "political correctness" means that some people are criticised for being deliberately offensive. If someone has the right to be deliberately offensive, then other people have the right to call them out on it surely.

You're not telling me that your "easily offended" are you? 😀

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@John_Hull wrote:

As far as I can see, "political correctness" means that some people are criticised for being deliberately offensive. If someone has the right to be deliberately offensive, then other people have the right to call them out on it surely.

You're not telling me that your "easily offended" are you? 😀

@John_Hull  I think the point that is being made, is, that, "some people are criticised for being deliberately offensive".... but...

MORE people, are being criticised for NOT being deliberately offensive, and turning what they say/said, into the category of "deliberately offensive"...   Just because....... they can...

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If freedom of speech isn't absolute, it's meaningless.  In the same way as democracy is meaningless when the established parties would only consider proportional representation if the threshold for gaining a seat is set so high that parties they don't like are unlikely to get any seats.

If you say something that I don't agree with, it's up to me to put forward my point of view/counter argument.  Yes, there are undoubtedly people who will go out of their way to be offensive but they are usually easily avoided or ignored (they hate that 😀).

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@John_Hull wrote:

You don't need to be deliberately offensive to offend someone.  Just stating the facts*** upsets certain people who don't like what is obvious to others.

Letter boxes anyone?

*** https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fact

I'm looking forward to Andrew Neils GB News channel which is starting up soon.  Hopefully we'll get more 'tell it like it is' reporting than the BBC manages, say no more.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Absolutely! You're free to make derogatory and offensive remarks about people minding their own business and following their religious convictions, and I'm free to call you out as a racist and a bigot.

I hope you're not offended, I'm just "saying it as it is".

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

I Rest My Case.  Roll_eyes