Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Political Correctness gone mad?

RichAllen
Grafter

Political Correctness gone mad?

Topic.
I just got banned from the O2 Community for 2 weeks and "pending review" just because I commented that I'm not a fan of Foreign call centres.
Do you think this is PC gone mad? Are the admins totally overreacting?
There's a particular Mod on there who keeps removing my posts and has had it in for me from Day 1.

56 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Political Correctness gone mad?

It rather depended on how you phrased it
Fixes: 47

Snap Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sites have different policies, some will ban you for using profane language or posting personal remarks about a member.
I Have always found this forum to be reasonable about these issues, censoring inappropriate language or locking threads that got to overheated.
As to whether PN has actually banned or suspended a member for a specific time I have no idea but assume you would get a Private Message before that happened.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I was banned on here for 30 days.... felt it was unfair.... and despite the "so-called" appeal procedure.... was ignored, and eventually given permission to return to posting at the end of the 30 days. 
Community Veteran

Like shutter I was also banned once on this forum - can't remember why but i was deeply disgruntled with PN at the time.
I also find however that the mods here are pretty one sided with many things. I've had several people directly insult me and the mods will do nothing about it when reporting the link. Other people get a mild comment and the post gets zapped instantly. Very unfair and while  I am always a bit dubious dealing with the mods here, I've known worse!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just to clarify
Plusnet don't ban posters that is all down to the moderators and you all know how twisted and nasty or should that be fair and nice or then again (add your own description) we are
Despite the above posts we don't do it very often nowadays in fact there was only one this year but we do give quite a few private warnings
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: RichAllen
Topic.
I just got banned from the O2 Community for 2 weeks and "pending review" just because I commented that I'm not a fan of Foreign call centres.
Do you think this is PC gone mad? Are the admins totally overreacting?
There's a particular Mod on there who keeps removing my posts and has had it in for me from Day 1.

I'm afraid it's a classic example of people with a little power from what your saying, try going onto linux mints irc channel with any kind of opinion and you will be banned straight away! very immature mods over there as with many places. I find the balance of mods on here very fair and unbiased as well as very level headed. And no i don't know any of them either.
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen

But did you comment or vent the rage? Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The trick is to phrase your words in such a way that you appear to be the epitome of politeness and charm while  "slipping the knife between the ribs" of your opponents. If you have to resort to profanity or personal insults/denigration you've already lost the argument.
If you said something like "Offshore Call Centres present a magnificent opportunity for service improvement...." the readers of the forum would get the messages but the Mods would be unable to stake you in the sun (hypothetically speaking of course  Smiley )
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Like shutter I was also banned once on this forum - can't remember why but i was deeply disgruntled with PN at the time.
I also find however that the mods here are pretty one sided with many things. I've had several people directly insult me and the mods will do nothing about it when reporting the link. Other people get a mild comment and the post gets zapped instantly. Very unfair and while  I am always a bit dubious dealing with the mods here, I've known worse!

Don't go on the Sheffield Forum then, their Mods are VERY heavy handed IMO, due to the "family friendly" nature of the forum you only have to look sideways at one of their regulars and you're banned for 2 days or more, and any comments about forum moderation get told to "Contact the Helpdesk", whereby you will be ignored for 48 hours by admin, who will do precisely sweet FA about your problem apart from assuming YOU are the problem and banning you for life.
PowerLee
Rising Star

That explains the house keeping done over on the O2 forum then  Wink
RichAllen
Grafter

House keeping my foot! I was NOT racist, all I said was that from previous experience, I was not a fan of Foreign call centres, as most of them speak very poor English, and if your problem is not on their "script", they have no idea what you're on about, and also 9 times out of 10 they don't understand my broad Sheffield accent.
myredhotcar
Grafter

A lot of English people speak very poor English. Most English call centre employees can't help if your problem is not on their script.
That only leaves your own accent which, by your own admission, makes you impossible to understand 90% of the time.
The ban was to protect you from yourself. Maybe try elocution lessons  Wink
On a serious note you will probably find that the admins are twitchy as innocent posts about issues with foreign call centres have a habit of degenerating into hate-filled racist mud-slinging and some businesses don't like being associated with racist bile.
RichAllen
Grafter

The main problem is that due to me being deaf, I tend to shout down the phone line, which they don't like because they think I'm being aggressive.
I can't help being deaf though Sad