cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policeman Gets Payout

Community Veteran

Policeman Gets Payout

A Police Officer has been awarded £430,000 for constructive dismissal.  How he avoided being sacked I don't know.
Payout
Amazing.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Policeman Gets Payout

If you do a bit of research, the "OAP" who was driving the Rangerover appears to be a rather nasty piece of work and the more you read about his past run ins with the Police, the more you could see the justification for the amount of force used against him.
Community Veteran

Having heard him being interviewed at length on the radio this morning I would have to disagree.  He received £65,000 from Gwent Police for his treatment.
I was more concerned with the high level of payment to the officer concerned. It seems totally out of proportion.
Community Veteran

policeman behaves like berserk brute, gets called on it, feels ashamed, is shredded by colleagues, resigns in huff, sues and gets whopping compensation.
wouldn't we all like some of that, perhaps without the humiliation?
he'll never shake his reputation.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Perhaps the term 'Sent to Coventry' has only one meaning for most people but years ago it also meant that someone in a factory who was sent to Coventry found that no one would speak to him, help him or even acknowledge his existence.
This was seen as a form of punishment due to someone not towing the line such as joining the union, constantly working faster than their mates and thus reducing bonuses for other workers or other things the majority did not approve of.
Despite this no one to my knowledge got a single penny in compensation due to this kind of treatment but imagine what they would get these days.
TORPC
Grafter

And yet the ones that genuinely deserves compensation, never gets it Sad Sad Sad
WTF
Grafter

According to the story on R4 this morning, the pensioner in the quatroprat had done a runner after being stopped a first time and had then been chased by the police car - with it's blues + twos going - for 20 MINUTES.  The copper broke the window to try to prevent the driver running off again.
Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  What was unreasonable was the press coverage that failed to mention any of the above.
The compensation was paid because the copper was first suspended from duty for a year before the matter was even investigated.  When it finally was, he was entirely cleared of any wrong doing but despite that, was not allowed to return to front line duty for the six months he continued to serve.
If that's not constructive dismissal, I'm not sure what is ..
Devonian
Grafter

I'm with WTF.
The 'OAP' lead a Police Office on a chase. 
What if he was allowed to just do as he pleased and it turned out he had a little kid tied up in the boot?
The police man was perfectly justified, the 'OAP' didn't deserve a penny.
As for constructive dismissal, yup I can understand that to.
CX
Grafter

Perfectly reasonable judgement in my opinion. The police officer's compensation likely doesn't even cover his loss in potential earnings, had he been able to continue working in the police until retirement.
Meanwhile, a criminal gets paid £65,000 due to a police officer doing his job.  Crazy
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: CX
Meanwhile, a criminal gets paid £65,000 due to a police officer doing his job.  Crazy

That I simply did not understand - when you take the circumstances into account, I don't think he even deserved the cash to replace the glass
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If the police kick your door in (in the execution of their duty 1) I believe they have to make sure it's secured afterwards (boarded up or similar), your insurance has to pay for the full repair.
Why should some yahoo thug get compensation because he tried to evade arrest?
1I'm thinking, for example, if your granny's alone in the house and appears to have fallen unconscious and they have to 'let the ambulance crew in' rather than if they raid you to look for drugs / counterfeit goods / firearms etc. but the same would likely apply in that case also.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just on the point about your insurance having to pay for the door, what happens if you don't have insurance ? or the money to pay for a new door which supplied and fitted is likely to cost a few hundred pounds.
TORPC
Grafter

In some cases around here the police use the services of locksmiths, (not sure how much they charge as never had to use a locksmith myself)
However must be cheaper than a full door rebuild / replacement Smiley