cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Police in South Yorkshire to get IPads

RichAllen
Grafter

Police in South Yorkshire to get IPads

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/iplod-tech-investment-as-budgets-slashed-1-6381921
Just picked this up off Facebook.
It's not a bad idea IMO providing the cost isn't passed on to the public in the form of taxes.
16 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Police in South Yorkshire to get IPads

they would be better off getting the windows phablet which is both smaller and more versatile whilst costing less.....but like all good ideas they somehow get corrupted by a few quid in the right pocket, ipads are totally impractical overpriced junk for the type of work they will be undertaking not to mention bulky and prone to failure when used outdoors
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Why does everyone think that only ipads can do the job at hand? The odds are that everything the fuzz do on their ipads will be on some form of secure intranet accessed wirelessly by 3G anyway so they only actually really need a browser. Why can't they use hudls instead?
No government dept is supposed to promote any one particular brand yet when it comes to ipads instead of buying and using quietly they have to make a public announcement about how they are getting apple ipads when everyone else is skint?
Obsurd?!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

Perceived better service from using the, supposedly, Rolls Royce of tablets Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

If it helps to reduce crime then I'm all for it.  They will have done a good deal on the ipads.
The Police is a publicly funded service paid for out of taxes so of course the public will pay for the ipads.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

But why must they be ipads - the most expensive tablets available?
Why not a samsung tablet or similar?
This is a typical example of those in power wanting the very best of everything while telling everyone else to "make do" with whatever they can afford.
State 1st, the citizens who support it 2nd.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

At least they will be able to shop in Argos with greater confidence.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I imagine ipad may have also provided the software support. The cost would certainly have been scutinised.
TORPC
Grafter

They are always going on about budget cuts, which affects jobs, therefore how many jobs will end up going or have gone to fund these overpriced pieces of tech
Police chiefs are to spend £2.1 million installing iPads in vehicles – in a bid to keep South Yorkshire bobbies on the beat for longer.

How many jobs equate to £2.1 million
I am sure they would have struck a deal, however can am ipad physically chase down and apprehend a criminal and put them in cuffs, transport to local nick etc
They can however, be programmed to a known criminals GPS coordinates, however the police already have measures in place for that

I suppose they could be used to put the doughnut order in on the way back to the nick Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

RichAllen
Grafter

You've been watching too much of the Simpsons lad!  Grin
Community Veteran

If it frees up police manpower to the front line then this is a very good idea.  The scheme didn't cost South Yorkshire Police £2.1m as £1m came from central government. Like all capital expenditure the £1.1m will be amortized over a number of years.
TORPC
Grafter

Nah!! not the doughnut, it'll be the Coffee, Pizza or kebabs and their favourite film on their way back to the station Cheesy
Whilst monitoring and updating their Facebook / Twitter etc account(s)

Quote from: RichAllen
You've been watching too much of the Simpsons lad!  Grin

Never watched it  Lips are sealed

TORPC
Grafter

@Mav
When my nephew was about 12 he used to say the Simpson's are intellectual viewing