Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Police fatality

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Police fatality

@DaveyH 

Indeed they did, but the law and indeed the opinion of the day was carried out, and of course Craig would have disgreed - and if being feeble minded is a defence, then those that prosecute the law are going to have an uphill struggle to convict anybody given the number of dim witted people commiting the most pointless of crimes.

I'm not defending hanging here, but being found guilty was the right result for both of these guys. You of course might argue otherwise.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote:

Big problem in cases like this is proving 'who did it ' - 10 people can't all be charged with murder, so if they keep quiet and refuse to confess the investigation goes nowhere...

Me - I would send them all down for life , but it ain't up to me.

Might not'Common Purpose' doctrine be applicable t cases such as this?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Luzern 

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

I wonder how many people have either gone out in a group or formed a group and after a few drinks a fight takes place, someone is killed and those in the group find themselves charged ?

As stated in the article others present would likely face a much lower sentence but even a short spell in prison is likely to have a major impact on your work, family life and possibly future.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Won’t happen but jail them all till someone squeals.

Gel
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 17

The "Common Purpose" equivalent in US has some odd consequences. If a group of people

committing a crime are discovered by police, and an officer then subsequently shoots one of them

dead, the perpetrators are then all charged with murder, alongside burglary etc.

That seems very unjust to me.

On the Berkshire fatality, there's a further twist, in that it's reported a responding police car

ran over the injured (dead?) officer; that'll be something the driver will long have nightmares about, if true.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Unjust? Seems fair to me.

If a guy breaks into a house and his mate follows him in, both should get done in my view and the same applies if two in the same stolen car knock somebody down and kills or injures them.

Without joint responsiblity then we can all follow that infamous line of "we were only following orders". 

Whatever next, sorry but I had a high speed accident because the nasty police were chasing me, or don't 'blame the parents' for bringing up their kids to be little tykes?

Not taking you to task here by the way @Gel, it just happens to be the way I see it. Wink

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

If we did have the death penalty, once all ten had been charged with murder, I'm pretty sure they'd all name someone else as the killer, and the one named by nine people should be convicted.

Imagine being widowed after four weeks of marriage.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Let’s hope this could be a turning point in the public’s perception of the Police....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well many certainly see them as a breed apart for good or for bad, and my memory takes me back to the bad in the Met of the 60s and 70s where for a time at least, it seemed as if there were as many bent coppers as there were criminals... but that's another story.

Now I would argue that most see them in a favourable light and by far an away those I do run into seem to be a decent bunch of guys doing what at times is a rotten job and one more akin these days to being a social worker in uniform than a bobby on the beat. 

They can't win that's for sure, not these days anyway.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

I am not for capital punishment, as judging by our friends across the Pond it seems to do little to reduce murder, nor do the excessive sentences by our (European?) harsh sentences for other crimes. Of course this particular crime evokes horror and anger, as indeed it should, and there is the fact of the victim being a policeman. I hope the same would apply to other help and safety services.

Yet, I wonder, if taking a view in the immediate aftermath, or utterances that criminals must be afraid of the police, is not at all good. IMHO there might be a risk of the police being feared by more than criminals.

Incidentally I have been watching Murder Case (BBC2) a documentary on a Glasgow vulnerable woman, who was murdered and her body dismembered and scattered. Put that case of cold calculation, against the one discussed, which seems to have less of the cold element, and I have some difficulty in deciding which is worse, that of a vulnerable woman or a policeman.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern 

All lives are of equal value but if a person loses their life whilst carrying out their public duty they expect there will be backup and support from both the government and the courts, unfortunately this is not always the case.

I did not see the BBC program you refer to, assume whoever did that either thought that disposing of the body in that way would give them a better chance of getting away with murder, on the otherhand they may simply be psychopaths (lacking emotion or empathy) and did it simply because they could.

From an emotional point of view it would be hard to decide which case was worse but in reality there needs to be clear rules on what happens to anyone who takes the life of any public servant whilst performing their duties irrespective if the act is intentional or by accident, by accident I mean failing to stop or resisting arrest when required to do so by the police.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

The program is quite recent and the last part i on this week, so it should be on IPlayer still.

DaveyH
All Star

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Three years for throwing acid in a policemans face?

No comment from me, I dare not. Don't want to be accused of being a racist. 

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Three years should mean three years...