cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Police fatality

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Police fatality

As many of you will have seen on the news a policeman has been killed in the line of duty, details are limited at present but it would appear he was hit by a car or cars escaping from a burglary and 10 people have been arrested, one as young as 13.

It is impossible to imagine the pain and suffering this has caused to his family and friends and the thoughts of many must be with them today.

It's about time far stronger penalties were introduced which ensured life sentences, in these cases life would mean life without parole for those involved in the death or serious injury to public workers in the line of duty.

30 REPLIES 30
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Police fatality

It's all happened this week. the copper stabbed in the head and there was another one which I can't remember (shame on me). No respect for law and order these days. We need more on the street doing proper Police work, not sat behind a desk profiling or watching cctv as it obviously doesn't work. A population which has substantially increased over the years with migration, yet there are less law enforcers to act on the increase. It was always asking for trouble if you ask me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In the US there's people calling for gun controls, all because of people killing other people, meanwhile here in Britain, people still kill other people even with heavy gun controls in place, if a person is going to kill, they'll use whatever tools they can find, even a sharpened pencil can kill, it just takes the wrong type of person to use it for such things...

There definitely needs to be far more deterrents in place, but the powers that be just don't see things in a sense of, how should I put it, "reality"...

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Big problem in cases like this is proving 'who did it ' - 10 people can't all be charged with murder, so if they keep quiet and refuse to confess the investigation goes nowhere...

Me - I would send them all down for life , but it ain't up to me.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I have my concerns as many of you will know about police that look like storm troopers, but when scum like this turn on a copper just trying to do his job my blood boils.

These guys need the full weight of the Parliament and the Crown Prosecution Service behind them so that those that attack police on the beat really do feel the full weight of justice - and not just a slap on the wrist then out and about after a couple of years because as sure as eggs, many of these will resort to violence if for them needs be. 

His family have now found themselves with a life sentence of sadness and memory, these low-lifes if found guilty should find themselves with a life sentence behind bars without parole. Period.

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Said on the news tonight that police are interviewing people living in a group of caravans - somehow I doubt they are the the womens institute annual caravan holiday -  Pikeys strike again, whenever they move into an area crime goes up... and the standard of tarmac laying goes down.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

You can see how this will go, it was dark and we did not see the policeman......so no intention of killing anyone.

No one will admit to being the driver so that's another legal loop for the prosecution to deal with.

Then whatever the sentence.....out in half the time served.

Amazed they can get anyone to join the police certainly no back up from the courts or government.

Gel
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 16

There's a traveller's camp about 2 miles away at Paices Hill; a location, police are regularly in attendance at.

You often see on police documentaries where they are pursuing a vehicle and it turns into traveller

encampment; the driver soon disappears into a hostile crowd.

Fortunately there was another officer present, so hopefully he can contribute vital evidence, along

with police car's cameras.

For the murder of Police + Prison officers we should reintroduce Hanging.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Not so sure about hanging and you are jumping the gun talking about murder here, but it must be every coppers nightmare getting involved we've these guys.

Could I do it? Not on your nelly. 

DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

@Gel wrote:

For the murder of Police + Prison officers we should reintroduce Hanging.

Derek Bentley....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Exactly @DaveyH he may well have been hung for the crime, but he may not actually have shot the Police man. So one has to err on the side of caution.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

No 'may have' about it, Craig not Bentley shot that copper, but the judiciary and the jury (it took them 75 minutes to decide) wanted somebody to drop at the end of a rope.

There again, under the principle of joint enterprise many would argue that both deserved the rope - but could and would the same be applied to all those involved in the death of PC Harper?

My guess is that even if they are all charged with manslaughter, they will each receive a different and far to light a sentence but, we'll have to wait and see.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@DaveyH 

Quite apart from the rights or wrongs of that sentence, Bentley was lawfully convicted and to my mind both were just as guilty, and both were just as stupid going armed with a revolver for what was after all just a burglary.  

DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

@DaveyH 

Quite apart from the rights or wrongs of that sentence, Bentley was lawfully convicted

The Court of Appeal disagrees, and so did Craig...

and to my mind both were just as guilty, and both were just as stupid going armed with a revolver for what was after all just a burglary.  

Bentley was considered to be "feeble minded" with the IQ of a 10 YO and literacy level of a 4 YO

Community Veteran

Was Bently a simple minded/ easily lead individual ?

Not sure if it's fact or fiction but the film shows Bently saying, "Let him have it" if true that could be interpreted in 2 ways either meaning give the Gun to the Policeman or Shoot him.

As for the return of the death penalty, we have far more forensic evidence these days than in the past, if there is clear evidence the person was guilty of murder we may need to reconsider the reintroduction of the death penalty.

Violence is on the increase, would the death penalty reduce it ? I have no idea but what I do know is that present methods do not seem to be working, perhaps intensive work with small groups of prisoners may show some results,) the cost rules it out wide scale.