cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointy brackets

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pointy brackets

I would like to use a pointy bracket to reduce two lines (players names) of text into one, as in a knock-out tournament chart.
Anyone know where I can find scalable (as they will get bigger as the rounds are played) pointy brackets to copy/paste?
In Excel, Word or Open Office.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Re: Pointy brackets

You might be better off with a drawing/graphic than a text character as they'd be easier to resize.
MS Office have 'braces' under Insert > Shapes (older versions might have them somewhere else).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Petlew,
Microsoft equation editor will do the job nicely for you. My version of MS word is old (2003 - though i get the most out of it) so yours may be a bit different but I go to Insert > Object > Microsoft Equation
Then you get a basic input box.. click back out of it, right click it and edit open it instead of editing it. Click the button on the toolbar and then you should see the two brackets there that i've highlighted.
You'll need to set your input as text though not numbers or you won't be able to use spaces!

The pointy bracks will accomodate as many lines as you need without space hogging images. The only snag is that if you want to send the file to other people, it can often show up weirdly depending on their version / software vendor. EG if someone opens it in libre office they're not going to see anything pretty but if you're just printing it'll be fine.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I just knew pointy brackets would have a proper name; braces.
@MJN, my version of Excel is 2002 and the braces can be found in the Drawing sub-menu under Other Shapes just as you said, the left and right brace being the last two in the list.
Sorry to take so long to reply, I've been setting up some knock-out sheets where your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you.
@7Up, I'm sure your suggestion will work, but the above does exactly what I want it to do. Thanks anyway.
Edit: it works better in Excel, the same is available in Word but inserts the brace into its own text box. In Excel it can be pasted directly into a cell.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.