Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points on Driving Licence

itsme
Grafter

Re: Points on Driving Licence

Quote from: walker23
Any time I've used the M25 recently while the variable speed limits are in force (normally around the M3 / M4 / Heathrow / M40 / M1 sector) it is not possible to exceed the limit due to stationary traffic in front   Grin

Thought the main reason to have variable speed controls was to stop traffic coming to a halt. When this was first introduced the feedback from people that use the M25 on a regular basis said it worked.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
Or would it be better for the authorities to allow the vehicle to exceed the maximum and let the vehicle's system automatically impose an on the spot fine. Wink
Vehicle grinds to a halt and won't move until one inserts credit card into machine, on dashboard, and enters pin number  Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the object of varible speed limits is to avoid bunching, where the fast vehicles have to brake when they reach slow ones, the net result is a stop start convoy.
Slow the whole lot down and you get a better flow and more traffic actually traveling
seen it many times on the A14 north of Cambridge, looking at the other lane, reasonable clear lane, then unexplainrd jam followed by about four miles of vertually stopped traffic
Fixes: 225

Traffic waves illustrated here http://trafficwaves.org/tbig.html just don't look at it for too long Smiley
Interesting video here

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I just watched traffic waves for 10 mins.

What is your next command oh great Master?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Road safety campaigners last night called for urgent action after it emerged a motorist is still behind the wheel despite amassing 39 penalty points, the most in Britain.
They insisted it was ‘completely unacceptable’ for anyone to rack up more than three times the number of points that would usually lead to an automatic ban.
The shock statistic about the driver, from Swindon, emerged in a Freedom of Information request from BBC West to the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency.
Twelve points usually means a six months ban for a driver unless they can prove it would cause exceptional hardship.
A court decides if a driver is banned or has special reasons to be allowed to stay behind the wheel.
Kath Hartley, from road safety charity Brake, called for all drivers with more than 12 points on their licence to be kept off the roads.
She said: ‘It’s completely unacceptable people are clocking up to 39 points on their licence.
‘It is crucial driving bans are issued when a driver receives 12 points on their licence, in all but very exceptional cases.
‘Any driver that exceeds this has shown they repeatedly break the law and are a hazard to other road users.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383709/Swindon-driver-39-penalty-points-licence-ban-motoris...
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: gleneagles
Road safety campaigners last night called for urgent action .....

Do keep up - this story dates from the beginning of May!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

We were talking about this last year iirc, and i'm sure we had one bloke who had a load of points because the DVLA kept getting his ID confused with someone else? Anyone recall?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

A six month ban for 12 points over three years is rather heavy handed. If I got a six month ban I would not be able work.
Driving punishments seem to be disproportionate compared to those for anti social behaviour and other petty crimes.
Fixes: 225

Quote from: AlaricAdair
What is your next command oh great Master?

Grin

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.3 (64-bit)

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Oddball
If I got a six month ban I would not be able work.
Surely the point is not to risk ones livelihood and I can't see that a person should be able to use the loss of ability to earn a living as a reason to not be banned.
They should, in fact, be more conscious of the importance of driving within the law.
itsme
Grafter

How many drivers break the law on a regular basis without realising? I even seen police drive in such away that they could be done for careless drivering. The main offence is reversing from a side street into a main road.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
They should, in fact, be more conscious of the importance of driving within the law.

Of course I agree. However driving is not an exact science and drivers make lots of mistakes everyday when out on the road. The unlucky ones are those that are caught and given points
Dick:green Quote fixed.
nadger
Rising Star

Quite agree that there is an element of luck involved in keeping a completely clean licence  Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley