cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points on Driving Licence

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Points on Driving Licence

Seems there are a number of people still legally on the road despite having more than 12 points on their license.
The highest one in Lancashire is 30 points (and still legally driving) but I suspect the figure is much higher in other parts of the country.
Almost pointless having a court system that allows this and if the courts can't crack down on it I'm surprised that the insurance companies have not done so by refusing to insure anyone with this number of points.
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Points on Driving Licence

Be interesting to see the official reasons for allowing this to happens.
A couple of thoughts come to mind...
driver needs the licence for work (why does an employer keep him on?)
driver is a disabled carer, serious hardship caused by revoking licence.
self-employed, needs licence to avoid family hardship.
related to magistrate!!
gorgeous blond who gives nod to magistrate!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I Suspect it's down to coming out with some hard luck story about the loss of your job or someone in the family who is disabled and would not be able to get anywhere without the driver.
But if the driver was that bothered about the loss of their job or being unable to to transport a disabled family member then they can hardly think much about them.
Allowing people to have more than 12 points and still drive simply sends out the wrong message to others.
I wonder how the magistrates would feel if someone with a lot of points on their license caused an accident and killed someone, if they were informed they might be less likely to deal leniently with future offenders.
Community Veteran

Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that the DVLA automatically revoked your licence when you hit 12 points?
So is my understanding correct then from this topic that its actually down to a court to ban you and not the DVLA?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

New Drivers Act
Your driving licence is automatically revoked (withdrawn) if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test.

Disqualification under the ‘totting-up’ system
If you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of three years, you’ll be liable to be disqualified under the 'totting-up' system.
Generally, you can be disqualified from driving for:
   six months if you get 12 penalty points or more within three years
   12 months if you get a second disqualification within three years
   two years if you get a third disqualification

More here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_069887
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

For someone to get more than 12 points they must be a repeat offender, and as such should be banned.
Community Veteran

However, judging by the OP this is evidently not the case.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The key thing here may be the wording: 'liable to be' in my dictionary can be taken as 'likely to be' so nothing definite here.  Further we have 'Generally you 'can be'... , that also seems to leave things somewhat open.  If the law is vague enough then some people will exploit that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Found this informative:-  http://www.drivingban.co.uk/
nadger
Rising Star

If people need their driving licence then they should respect it and obey the rules.
itsme
Grafter

Very easily to build up 12 points for speeding, and the majority of car drivers do speed. An example is the M25 which have variable speed controls and enforcement if you are not familiar with this you could gain 12 or more points in just one drive. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With all due respect, the variable speed limits are very clearly signposted and the limit signs are highly visible, circled in red above each lane.
Any time I've used the M25 recently while the variable speed limits are in force (normally around the M3 / M4 / Heathrow / M40 / M1 sector) it is not possible to exceed the limit due to stationary traffic in front  Grin
There are other, more subtle, places where a series of speed cameras could lead to multiple penalties in a single drive but, again, they are marked and visible as are the speed limit signs.
I have found that sticking to speed limits properly improves MPG, with the price of fuel nowadays that is a pretty good additional incentive not to speed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
An example is the M25 which have variable speed controls and enforcement if you are not familiar with this you could gain 12 or more points in just one drive. 
Not an argument I can accept as the M25 is clearly marked where there's a variable limit and one can actually see the camera openings on the overhead gantries.
Ultimately a driving licence is a privilege, not a right.
@walker23 - quite agree that sticking to speed limits can improve fuel consumption.
itsme
Grafter

and all motorways are clearly marked but this does not stop speeding, the main point I was making is it's not normal to have fixed speed cameras on motorways.
Fixes: 47

In future all this may be academic when all vehicles are fitted with GPS as standard, know where they are and the relevant speed limit of the road and automatically limit the vehicle's maximum speed.
Or would it be better for the authorities to allow the vehicle to exceed the maximum and let the vehicle's system automatically impose an on the spot fine. Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation