cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointless...

Fixes: 121

Pointless...

Not the TV program but Delivery and Read receipts for emails.
I never allow them and rarely send an email with them selected. When I do it's only to a company where I definitely want to know it's received but rarely do I get the acknowledgement. I suspect they have their mail clients set not to send them as well Undecided
I've put this in Chit Chat as I'm not requesting help but starting a discussion.
Does anyone here use them or even think they're worth turning on?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pointless...

Never used them and don't see the need for them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I make a point of " declining" requests to return read receipts, .........................don't want the sender knowing too much information.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

with work emails I used them constantly so I could prove the lying prick in the upstairs office had not only received the message but also read it and then failed to action it ...... fortunately recipients couldn't block them and I had mine setup to append to the relevant message in the relevant folder Smiley
but at home I don't use them at all Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I worked for a company years ago where not sending the receipt was a disciplinary... barstewards. Needless to say if you accidentally clicked no (eg after working a week of 12 hour shifts) you'd get a grilling just because you helped the company out  Roll eyes
In the real world I don't use them. Not because i don't want to but because yahoo have never offered that facility (along with many others). Admittedly though it would be extremely handy sometimes. The idiotic thing however is that on most email programs (outlook, outlook express for example) make it a voluntary thing which is frankly not helpful when you're trying to get an important point across to someone, you know they got the email but they say "Oh.. we never got it". Frustrating!
Needless to say the webmail i am slowly working on will incorporate a mandatory receipt system - eg you only get half the message and click a link to get the second half delivered, possibly tracking images (though this is known to be ineffective on some systems) and i was considering using flash for some messages but since the uprise of the ipad and flash being banned on it, thats no longer an option.
Either way I don't see the current RFC as being adequate for another 10-20 years because email acknowledgement is going to become a bigger issue (just like special delivery signatures with royal mail).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 121

It is annoying when a company doesn't allow a read receipt but I can't complain really as I never allow them Wink
What prompted this thread is I sent an email of complain to First:Utility last week requesting a delivery and read receipt and got neither. I did get a standard email receipt telling me I should get a reply within 5 working days but most probably 3. A week later and no reply and still no read receipt either so I sent the same email again. Got the standard receipt email again so will send again after another week Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Within the corporate network I managed it was common practice in order to maintain some semblance of an audit trail for interdepartmental negotiations.
Personally I don't use the facility.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
It is annoying when a company doesn't allow a read receipt but I can't complain really as I never allow them Wink
What prompted this thread is I sent an email of complain to First:Utility last week requesting a delivery and read receipt and got neither. I did get a standard email receipt telling me I should get a reply within 5 working days but most probably 3. A week later and no reply and still no read receipt either so I sent the same email again. Got the standard receipt email again so will send again after another week Cheesy

IT must be said there is a lot to be said for autoreplies.. i've always admired them for some odd reason but they're also a pain if its from a spammer because it then confirms the address is active  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think read receipts are miss named as no reading, just opening is required. Personally I don't use them and think they are pretty pointless. Many a time I have  opened an email and never got chance to read it before having to do something else!