Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointless Jobs

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Pointless Jobs

Just been reading an article from yesterday's Guardian (somebody has to) about the rise of pointless jobs, one example of which was about a guy having to guard an empty room in a museum!

'Just [-Censored-] jobs so completely pointless and unnecessary...... '

Once I was asked by my office to drive almost a hundred miles on a bank holiday Friday afternoon just to deliver an 'out of use' cover for a banks cash point machine - even though I was scheduled to go there the following Tuesday on a service call. Crazy2

PS. I never went by the way, just said OK and took my kids to the park.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Pointless Jobs

Did you get your time and a half wages for working bank holiday?  PLUS the "mileage allowance" for the journey  ?  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

If only eh shutter but no, Friday was not a bank holiday, never paid extra for working them anyway, and company paid to put fuel in the company car plus as said..... I never went anyway! Evil

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

I never went anyway!

Well what a rebel. Next you’ll be telling us about how naughty you were as a child.

Champnet
Pro

I was sent from the south coast to Liverpool just to unbox a laser printer, over 500 miles return.

On another occasion I flew to Edinburgh to hand over a laptop. As a contractor I was paid by the hour, mileage and expenses. Silly days.......

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Such jobs are sometimes referred to as Guardian jobs since they are usually advertised in that newspaper thereby earning it a fair bit of money.  Perhaps they should be careful not to kill the golden goose.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Pedantry warning!

The goose was not made of gold, the egg was. Wink

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I thought that just after I posted but couldn't be bothered to go back and edit it.  Thanks for pointing it out though. Cheesy