Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet top in Ofcom survey

198kHz
All Star
Fixes: 9

Plusnet top in Ofcom survey

In the broadband customer service list, (ascending in quality), TalkTalk was followed by BT and its subsidiary EE in joint second; Sky and Virgin Media were joint third, and the BT-owned Plusnet ranked best.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/may/03/talktalk-and-vodafone-dishing-up-worst-uk-customer-...

Remeber you are unique - just like everyone else
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet top in Ofcom survey

Do I hear any praise from Plusnet to this forum for us constantly pointing out the shortcomings in their customer service? 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Ah But the price rise Email states they are investing in more staff , must admit to have been a few new ones here of late Thumbs Up

Just pity they cant invest in fixing the Web mail or the Billing system Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Well somebody has to come top I suppose, but why can we not have surveys where there is no first place because given past practice ie: 'speeds up to', and tagging on extra charges during an agreed contract period, as far as i can see none of them deserve to stand on Ofcom's top spot provider podium. 

Good service is it's own reward, yes?

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 28

@Minivanman wrote:

Well somebody has to come top I suppose,

We're really pleased that our customers voted us top in this survey, but we know we're not perfect and that we must do better. There's a whole range of improvements happening behind the scenes to try to improve further. 

but why can we not have surveys where there is no first place

because that would be silly Wink next thing you know we'd be as bad as those countries that have competitions where nobody keeps score and everyone gets a medal!

Participation.jpeg

because given past practice ie: 'speeds up to', and tagging on extra charges during an agreed contract period, as far as i can see none of them deserve to stand on Ofcom's top spot provider podium. 

These are all within the rules of the various regulatory bodies and the change (to ensure consistency and measurements that don't mislead or confuse the customer) driven from them.

Take speed for example. We know not all customers get the "up to speed" but when we advertise alongside our competitors the accepted methodology is to advertise what up to 10% of our customers can get so that's what we do. If we used a different figure, because the vast majority of people don't understand how the UK Broadband market works, and that we nearly all use the same physical lines then we'd look slower than our rivals and lose potential customers to them.

That being said changes are afoot.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) via the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice BCAP have requested that all broadband providers display speeds on any marketing material that are achievable by at least 50% of its relevant customer base at peak times. Ofcom have defined the peak time as 8pm-10pm.

The decision has been made based on ASA consumer research and public consultations as customers have displayed a lack of understanding regarding advertised speeds and what this means for them. CAP considers that using the speed averages made on this basis are not likely to mislead customers when signing up..

The decision has been made based on ASA consumer research and public consultations as customers have displayed a lack of understanding regarding advertised speeds and what this means for them. CAP considers that using the speed averages made of this basis are not likely to mislead customers when signing up..

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Community Veteran

If current adverts for speed are based on 10% of what customers get and future adverts are based on what 50% of what users get the figure for speeds will be much lower unless you have plans to increase the speed and structure of the present system.

What are the current advertised speeds and how will they compare to future advertised speeds ?

Community Veteran

As for surveys from PN, I get a number of them at regular intervals, if I give a positive rating each time does that increase the score ?

Perhaps some complete the survey In the hope it will not appear again, that does not work in my case.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@gleneagles wrote:

As for surveys from PN, I get a number of them at regular intervals, if I give a positive rating each time does that increase the score ?

It's not taken from our website survey

If current adverts for speed are based on 10% of what customers get and future adverts are based on what 50% of what users get the figure for speeds will be much lower unless you have plans to increase the speed and structure of the present system.

The advertised speeds will be slower, we're not able to increase speeds without our suppliers changing infrastructure.

Jono H
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@JonoH Nice medal Smiley

In the background , i dont suppose there is any mention of a Fix for the web mail and Billing system ?  i do believe that we have been giving Plusnet time to get there , well 8 - 9 years

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's lots of work going on improving mail but I agree it's slow going, It's way over my head and much more technical than I am and thats why @Kelly is handling most of the updates about it as he's not only great at technical stuff but he's also heavily involved in improving the platform.

The billing engine is something I do have sight of, I know it after all this time that it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence when we say things like "soon"  so I won't say that. What I will say is that we've today shared with the SU group the first draft of our customer communications surrounding the launch of the billing engine, what they'll see that's different, we're also about to show them what the new billing format looks like. Thinking about it I might even have left the dates in the post to them! Grin

We've also got a Q&A scheduled for tomorrow afternoon with our Head of Collections & Billing so whilst I won't say "soon" I will say there's real progress and I'm chomping at the bit to be able to share the details of this with all of you.

Jono H