cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet to change advertising.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Plusnet to change advertising.

If the new Ofcom rules are to be believed PN will be asking the plump comedian to announce on the adverts that: "...you'll get 10 Meg broadband if you are lucky."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet to change advertising.

All that'll mean is increasing grief (i.e. resouces/cost) to ISP's.
No prizes for guessing who will pay for it - "Oh look my monthly cost has gone up - wonder why" Roll eyes

Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

PN will be asking the plump comedian to announce on the adverts that: "...you'll get 10 Meg broadband if you are lucky."

And how about "we may help you with problems if you're prepared to wait".

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@billnotben

Unlikely they will get away with that excuse, I think the proposals give users the opportunity to leave at anytime without financial penalty if what has been agreed is not provided.

Steve
Pro

It bewilders me how you moan about PN yet you continue to use their services so they must be doing something right.

Fixes: 47

I would have thought that the priority would be to get Openreach and associates to fibre up the entire country, getting rid of all copper/aluminium.

With the infrastructure in a capable state they could then target ISPs.

As has been said in the article, speeds are 'to the router' not to a wifi connected device which can have its own connectivity issues.

Unfortunately many people refer to broadband as wifi as that's the only medium they use to access the internet.

I have said it before but no sensible ISP could or should promise a specific broadband speed as there are too many variables.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

"The biggest problem for an ISP is balancing the desires of the marketing department against what consumers are actually experiencing every day.

From this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41524650

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 125

Strat wrote:

I would have thought that the priority would be to get Openreach and associates to fibre up the entire country, getting rid of all copper/aluminium.

That would been nice considering FTTC is between 1/2 and 2/3rds ADSL speed (5 - 5.5Mbps) here and only FTTP On Demand!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I don't suppose it would make too much difference.

According to the BBC site the bottom line is "can leave".

What would be the point if no other supplier can get a better speed where you are?

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I was going to post something very similar @billnotben, but thought it was too obvious to bother.Smiley

John
Pete11
Pro

billnotben wrote:

What would be the point if no other supplier can get a better speed where you are?

Would that be the upload speed?   Hmmm, let's see now, upload 2...other ISP's 10. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

And there would be a few who would leave just for the extra upload

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

I was just looking at Virgin Media's offerings (they're apparently planning on expansion into this street at long last), and the upload on their broadband services is pants, about 3Mbps on their 50Mbps service, versus the 8-9Mbps I presently get with PN, uploading to youtube is slow enough as it is with PN (I miss the 20Mbps I got with the 40/20 I originally signed up for!!!), 3Mbps is a joke... Undecided

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't forget the structure of the network used by Virgin Media was essentially broadcast, so upload was not a priority. It's been bodged to fit broadband. Up to a point its coaxial cables can handle downloads at better speeds than copper twisted pair.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I'll post a Virgin Media speedtest as I am at home (my parents house are on PlusNet), this is not to boast by the way just to try and help as people were asking.

When I moved here, I couldn't get Fibre but lived in a cabled area so for faster internet that is where I had to go. It got delayed and took a few years, I got fed up, so went Virgin Media (not much choice as they have a monopoly now). A few years later and now I can.

My parents road has never had cable and I don't know if it ever will. Though where they live (and the high street which is which is 10 minutes away) other roads nearby can get cable. I know as I see the CATV covers in the street Smiley

Their house got cable before I did. Recently moved to cable on theirs as the speed was not good and I know where the exchange is. Two reasons, I went to College there for two years to do my A-Levels and are having to make local hospital visits there now. It is one of the bigger hospitals in South East London. For a game someone may take a guess what it is? Tongue

Funny thing, was when their landline went down I went out as saw the cab open and it is actually on the way to the exchange as you have to get the bus towards there from there. So at least I know what cab it is - yes I am said I like to know these things.