cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet line rental is cheap - sheesh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Plusnet line rental is cheap - sheesh

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7133-talktalk-increases-voice-line-rental-to-17-70-per-month.html
We have just learnt that voice line rental costs at TalkTalk are increasing and will be updating our package listings accordingly.
The new line rental price is a full £1 per month more than previously, so will be £17.70 for new customers and if the price rise affects any existing customers they should receive a letter informing them of the price change and the option to exit any contract penalty free as per Ofcom rules. Line rental saver where you pay for 12 months in advance is also changing, it will be an annual cost of £191.16 now, equivalent to £15.93 per month.
Update 12:50 While updating the line rental changes that TalkTalk informed us about we noticed that the standard price of Simply Broadband is increasing from £5 per month to £7.50 per month, this will have a knock on effect for their FTTC products too.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Plusnet line rental is cheap - sheesh

Supermarkets should get into the telecoms provider business... in a proper way... *(yeah I know tesco and sainsbury`s do it, but they are only adding it as a "service" sideline )... in the same way as they retail petrol and diesel... so that when they feel like it, they give EVERYONE a price cut... and price wars keep the prices down.. ( ok.. so crude prices push it up again.. but , as we all know it also goes down )...
If they did that, then we would be ALL better off...  instead... the major telecoms business just follow BT like sheep...

With so many providers appearing to play the game of price matching BT Retail or slightly under cutting them

And what is Ofcom doing about it..... ?  just drinking tea and getting paid for doing nothing...  Wonder if there`s any jobs going there....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Further to my reply... and to add to oj`s post....
Free unlimited ADSL2+ and £75 cashback offer from Plusnet

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7134-free-unlimited-adsl2-and-75-cashback-from-plusnet.html
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Tell me about it TT keep putting their prices up, all I have is their broadband and phone but I suppose I will be subsidising loads of their other bumf I don't want or need. Good thing is you can leave early if in contract thanks to Ofcom rules but the way I see it what is the point when they all follow pretty much BT prices.
Be interesting to see what they would do if BT slashed their line rental  Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

nothing because as you pointed out they would be subsidising other areas of the business....
that and if bt put line rental prices down they would hike everything else to compensate so overall there would be little to no difference....
also its probably worth pointout out incase anyone has forgotten or is unaware, BT retail is forced by Ofcom to charge £1.00 more to its customers than open reach charges to competitors due to monopoly rulings making everyone elses price matching on line rental a con to make oodles of cash out of unwitting customers .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

That statement needs clarifying as it is rather misleading and not too accurate as it probably refers to the prices set on the 31st March 2014 which then have different price modifiers
LLU CPI + 0.3% and WLR CPI - 3.0%
Reference http://media.ofcom.org.uk/analysts/regulated-prices/
There are two levels of charges
Fully unbundled - such as TalkTalk and Sky
Wholesale Line rental - for everybody else
The prices as published as from 1st April 2015 are £89.50 + VAT for wholesale line rental and £87.48 + VAT for full MPF
References
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=%2BrBpMW3XM9a...
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=Wk%2B2hSVL2kn...
nanotm
Pro

Which would make matters worse not better, if the links you provide are correct then the various telco's are paying £107.40 per year and charging more than £50.00 on top as pure profit, that BT's hands are still tied to some labour envisioned anti monopoly ideal and are forced to subsidies other isp's is beyond mind blowing, sure they need regulation to ensure fair pricing for the service given but the current state of affairs is proving to only scrrw over the customers in favour of private companies profit margins....
Community Veteran

We know that - the markup that is - it has been discussed at length on here
I do like the statement
if the links you provide are correct

For goodness sake they are to OFCOM amd BT Openreach
nanotm
Pro

It would not be the first time either would of published factually incorrect documents to the public domain in the hopes of obscuring the truth about things....
Community Veteran

Seriously nanotm?