Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet is owed by bt?

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Plusnet is owed by bt?

Did a bit of research found out plusnet is owned by bt?
Excellent!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Re: Plusnet is owed by bt?

Yes that's correct .. I'd imagine both the companies try to operate independently of each other but no doubt each other will have an influence on how that is done.

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Yes they run independently. For all the peeps say just cancelled with BT moved to plusnet lol.
Well plusnet are cheaper though.
Excellent!
Community Veteran

Yes, they both have to pay BT Wholesale for their supplier charges (or "their suppliers" as PlusNet perfer to call them).

You wouldn't notice any difference anyway, just a different company who uses BT Wholesale on your behalf.

If it's cheaper and then you get PlusNet CS if you need them if there is a problem, you'd need to get hold of them anyway.

I've only ever called CS once, but here is quite a good resource to post if you have a problem, and the staff are quite active on here. Maybe more on Monday if the weather isn't too bad up there, getting windy in London where I am.

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

I havent had any problems with Plusnet so far thank God.
Talk talk are awful.
Are you expecting snow?
Excellent!
Community Veteran

Not down in South East London, just lots of rain and a bit of wind about an hour ago, but seems to have calmed down now. I think it is too warm for snow.

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Do the rest of the other isps buy from bt wholesaler? Lines are owned by bt so they rent it off bt. But they can have speed difference too
Excellent!
LifeonMars
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

EE is also owned by BT.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Why does the fact that BT, PN and EE are part of the same generate discussion? It's been like that with cars for donkeys' years: V.A.G, Austin- Morris- Rover- Riley- Wolsely to name those past and present. It's all to do with marketing to market sectors.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Manny7860 wrote:
Do the rest of the other isps buy from bt wholesaler? Lines are owned by bt so they rent it off bt. But they can have speed difference too

All ISP's buy Retail phone and internet from BT Wholesale, with two exceptions: Virgin and Kingston Communications in Hull. Potential Speed differences are more complicated.

BT Wholesale offer different products to ISP's.  You might get is a deal from another ISP that offers you a faster product. 

You can see what is in theory the best broadband service you might expect in your property by checking your phone line or address here:

You will not always get a faster speed just by switching ISP - 

The max speed vaulable to you is determined by

a) the distance between your property and the exchange for standard ADSL

or

b) the distance between your property and the cabinet if you are on FFTC / Fibre

and

c) the quality and condition of your phone line between the exchange, the cabinet and your property and also the wiring and set up in your property. Worth noting that if you have either phone or a broadband problem in the BT owned network then BT Openreach, the engineering division of BT,  will be asked to fix it no matter which ISP you have as no ISP's have their own engineers.

You might be supplied with a better , (or worse)  router with better (or worse) wifi.

Once your internet service leaves the local phone exchange it is routed over very high  speed  fibre network connections (known as backhaul or pipes) which are owened or rented by your ISP, not neccessarily by BT Wholesale. The ISP's network connect to the world Wide Web i.e the  internet is at regional NODES called gateways. If these  pipes or gateways become overloaded or fail then  your apparent abilty to use the web may be much slower. A bit like congestion on the M25.  Some ISP's allow overload on their backhaul to save money.

You might get better (or worse)  customer service from a new ISP. My experience of PN's CS is that it has been consistently better than average, but that it can be superb and can occasionally be bad. My experience of all other main companies such as BT, SKY, Talk Talk,  is that their CS is not as good as PN .  

EE is often quite good, but it can be dreadful!

Smaller companies like ZEN are consistently good,  but then they do cost quite a bit more.

In conclusion Plus Net is a cheapish,  no frills service with better than average customer service and decent network offering reasonable speeds.  With the internet, you get what you pay for .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

LLU providers (Sky and TalkTalk) buy from Openreach, not BTWholesale.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Luzern wrote:

Why does the fact that BT, PN and EE are part of the same generate discussion? It's been like that with cars for donkeys' years: V.A.G, Austin- Morris- Rover- Riley- Wolsely to name those past and present. It's all to do with marketing to market sectors.

Exactly.

Two snippets from BT Group plc's 2017 annual report -

Plusnet has a distinctive market position, offering UK consumers brilliant service (sic) at a great price.

This multi-brand approach gives us greater agility in the market and increases our overall consideration.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

198kHz wrote:

This multi-brand approach gives us greater agility in the market and increases our overall consideration.

Translation:

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.