Plusnet advert.

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 54

Re: Plusnet advert.

@billnotben A big fat '0'

John
Pro

T would like to make a further point about the credibility of the advertising of the actual product itself.

Unlimited Fibre quotes an Average Download Speed of 36Mbs. This figure is required to be stated at peak usage times.

An average means some will get more and some wil get less which I am quite comfortable with. My download speed is 16Mbs if I am lucky, with a "guarantee" of 11Mbs. Barely more than I got with ADSL. If I were to be on Extra I would expect an average of 66Mbs down the same line so what is holding me back?

Support are on the case here and I hope to get an answer soon but it does make me wonder where this average comes from as I doubt very much it is from information held by PN about their customers.

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 169

@TeeGee 

I suspect that what would hold you back would be Plusnet refusing to sell you fibre extra because your line won’t support it. On the other side there are many who could get more than 66Mbps who have opted to take the 40/10 standard fibre service, hence the relatively high average.

Grafter
Fixes: 1

I've noticed Sky have a 'prices may change during contract period' clause as well, although they don't elaborate further.

Perhaps the days of fixed price contracts are now over.
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 54

@OhWell For the 'big' players, certainly.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Life time price guarantee....

You will keep the same price when your contract ends...

Bet you think I am making that up and no isp makes such a claim...

Then take a look at the Zen Adverts...!

Grafter

Indeed. They may find their numbers swell as people realise what's going on, and emigrate from the BT cartel.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Looks like BT are facing a class action over overcharging loyal customers. If that succeeds where will it leave other ISP's and many other businesses who engage in this dubious practice.

BBC 

Best bit that we all already know.

"Since 2009, the wholesale costs of providing landlines to consumers have been falling by at least 25%. But in October 2017, Ofcom found that all major landline providers in the UK had increased the line rental charges by 28-41%."

Community Veteran

I think it might be more about those people who have a phone line only rather than a package, so mainly older folk who do not use broadband.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

@gleneagles  Dunno how you think that a "phone call" landline is less costly than a "package" i.e. BB and Phone

a landline is a landline... i.e. copper or ally piece of wire connecting two places together for the purpose of communicating... 

How that communicating is done, is neither here nor there.... the cost of the "wire" is the same...

therefore when any ISP or phone provider says it includes the "landline" cost in their "package"  if it has been overcharging ( as is the case of BT ).. then any reduction in costings due to the "class action" SHOULD, also be reproduced in other suppliers costings, and a consequence of that, SHOULD be a reduction and a refund of those overcharged prices pro--rata accordingly...

Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

I think it might be more about those people who have a phone line only rather than a package, so mainly older folk who do not use broadband.

I think this is the case see below for more detailed information see below

https://www.callclaim.co.uk/

HD

Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Love and marriage, love and marriage
They go together like a horse and carriage
This I tell you brother
You can't have one without the other

Frank Sinatra: Love and Marriage - YouTube

Except with phone lines you can, but you cannot always argue the point with the likes of BT or PN.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

PN advert in January includes the following in T&C’s ....prices increase by cpi rate + 3.9%....

yes this has been mentioned before in other posts......but.....also included in the T&C’s is the following.....

Other prices, content and terms may also change during your contract..

Think about that statement....it means they can change anything and you are powerless to do anything about it as that is what you are signing up to, a contract should be fixed and not open to changes unless agreed by both parties, price increases or exceptional circumstances fine but not some cover all statement that gives the provider or a service the benefit of doing what they like.

The ' other' is interesting! I don't disagree the words appear weaselly, but could they be intended to say the agreement covers only what is at the time of signing; VAT rates and other levies may arise and alter

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

@gleneagles  Dunno how you think that a "phone call" landline is less costly than a "package" i.e. BB and Phone

a landline is a landline... i.e. copper or ally piece of wire connecting two places together for the purpose of communicating... 

How that communicating is done, is neither here nor there.... the cost of the "wire" is the same...

therefore when any ISP or phone provider says it includes the "landline" cost in their "package"  if it has been overcharging ( as is the case of BT ).. then any reduction in costings due to the "class action" SHOULD, also be reproduced in other suppliers costings, and a consequence of that, SHOULD be a reduction and a refund of those overcharged prices pro--rata accordingly...

Should that prove to be the case then you might be in line for a refund up to £ 500, however as I interpret that article it’s just those who have a separate package one for phone and one for broadband or just a phone line.

I do not disagree with what you say, likely we have all being overcharged but it’s not clear cut otherwise the action would have been on behalf of everybody with a BT line, no doubt BT would argue what you pay for the phone line as part of a package is lower with the rest of the amount made up of the broadband cost.....yes it’s a con but proving otherwise is difficult unless we have a whistleblower at BT who spills the beans.