cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Usage iPhone App - [BETA CURRENTLY CLOSED]

spamoom

Plusnet Usage iPhone App - [BETA CURRENTLY CLOSED]

Update: I've closed beta registrations for the time being. I shall change the topic if this changes Smiley
Hey All,
After being fed up of not being able to easily check my usage on my iPhone - I made it possible Wink
I'm after around 10 people that are willing to help beta test the app for me Smiley
If you want to help out and try this new app, please signup here: http://tflig.ht/nAdB61
I'm using the popular tool https://testflightapp.com/ for beta distribution -  so your details will be safe and secure Smiley
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Plusnet Usage iPhone App - Beta Testers wanted!

Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim) Under no circumstances should members email addresses be posted on an open forum and I don't recommend sending them by PM either
If the poster wishes to have testers this should be done by PM only and the download being made available by a link from his website to those selected
spamoom

Apologies Jim!! I've amended my post to include the signup url Smiley
jim:quote
willas00
Grafter

You have been beaten to this....
spamoom

Hi Ashley,
I'm aware that you made the existing app - however this did not satisfy my needs. I wanted to check how much of my allowance I had used on my broadband - your app only seemed to aggregate RSS and Twitter feeds available from plusnet.
- Sam
Bazza
Grafter

I've signed up. Has to be worth a try.  Smiley
Baz
willas00
Grafter

Have you got permission? I don't think plusnet would allow public testing but any how you have been beaten to it more info is to come soon
MooreGuitar

How much permission do you need to provide a unique way of allowing users to see information that is already available to them?
spamoom

Also, I can't believe you'd release an application in such a state as this http://s4m.im/B7sn.

• The top image is stretched out of proportion

• The back button goes over that image

• "By on Wed, 19..." - did you use the app before you published it?

It has clearly been made by using a 3rd party program (http://www.appmakr.com/) rather than done properly.
Another point - rating your app 5 starts while insulting your customers isn't seen as good customer service Smiley
willas00
Grafter

Well as with any company if you are allowing others to access a member area they would want to know.
Would you not be concerned about your privacy details? Any developer could log those via an app and have approval from Apple still....
willas00
Grafter

The header image is a bug which I've fixed.
Plusnet are well aware it's made with AppMakr I sought permission before doing any thing and fully explained every thing to Plusnet stage by stage
Fixes: 47

http://community.plus.net/blog/2010/12/10/plusnet-theres-an-app-for-that/ ; Smiley
Used it and found it useful.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MooreGuitar

Quote from: willas00
Well as with any company if you are allowing others to access a member area they would want to know.
Would you not be concerned about your privacy details? Any developer could log those via an app and have approval from Apple still....

In response to your first statement that is like saying plusnet want to know which browser you are using to view your usage information. Sure it can easily be done by inspecting packet headers but at the end of the day it makes no difference to plusnet in what way people are getting information from that web page.
As for your second statement isn't that also true for the app that you have created?
Also to boot given you have made the app with appmakr I presume you don't have a full comprehension of objective C which leaves me feeling somewhat apprehensive about putting any of my information into it seeing as there could be data collection occuring in the appmakr code that you aren't even aware of.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Guys, let's not get into an 'app war' eh?
I've no qualms with people developing whatever Plusnet apps they please as long as it's free and clearly marketed as not having any official affiliation with Plusnet. Having said that, it does help if we're kept in the loop regarding any intentions and given the opportunity to test things for ourselves. This was something Ashley did when he developed his two iPhone apps and his Android port.
There's a second Android app that was published to the market without any prior notice but I've since been in discussion with the developer of that too because it doesn't work with all accounts (one reason why it helps for us to test these things).
@spamoom, I'd appreciate it if you could PM me with more details about your app if you don't mind?

Quote from: MooreGuitar
Quote from: willas00
Well as with any company if you are allowing others to access a member area they would want to know...

In response to your first statement that is like saying plusnet want to know which browser you are using to view your usage information. Sure it can easily be done by inspecting packet headers but at the end of the day it makes no difference to plusnet in what way people are getting information from that web page.

It would if a poorly developed app started hammering the portal to the extent that it stopped everybody else from accessing it! Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Fixes: 47

I tried the android one Plus.net Mobile by AppFish but it only allowed access to the Plusnet VISP with no facility to select force9 etc....I'm on force9.
Edit: tried the other apps and it's the same story.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation