cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Smoking

Fixes: 47

Plusnet Smoking

I walked past Plusnet this lunchtime and passed a group of staff huddling together on a cold, draughty corner surrounded by a cigarette cloud.
Can't you provide a suitably protected area round the back for these poor people Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Smoking

To avoid a costly mistake, if Plusnet provided a shelter for smokers, they would need to carefully check that the design of the smoking shelter will comply with the requirements of the Smoke-free (Premises and Enforcement) Regulations 2006.
To comply with these Regulations the smoking shelter must not be wholly enclosed, or substantially enclosed.
In practice this means the smoking shelter must not have sides, including doors, windows or other fittings that can be opened or shut, that enclose more than 50% of the shelter.
Three sides is a no-no.

Our local Asda back home has a smoking shelter, mostly used by staff ...
Out the front of the Store !!
However, its legality is a bit suspect, as it has one long Perspex rear, with two half width perspex sides, the rest being open.
On a recent visit to Toronto, most tall buildings just had the staff smoking by the front door, which made for an unpleasant experience going into the building at street level.
However, because it is Toronto, (ie Snow) virtually all of these buildings had underground Mall entrances, so avoiding the smokers at street level.
All the Malls appeared to be interconnected.
And very pleasant, and busy
And smoke free....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Are you suggesting that PlusNet moves to Toronto, HuhHuhHuh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Who said that there was even one
There is no requirement in law to provide one
ScottStorey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'm more than willing to scout out Toronto should it be required.
Community Veteran

Hope I'm not a spoil sport but I'm against providing staff with areas to smoke. Bad for their health and the health of anyone nearby.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

+1 Artmo.... I used to smoke, up to 30 a day...took 3 years to wean myself off them... no patches.. just will power.. That was 25 years ago.... now I find it most annoying when I walk down the main street in town, and someone in front is blowing smoke as they pass, and I have to breath it  !... Ugh.. !..
If people want to smoke... then that is up to them... just be aware that many more do not, and don`t want to inhale the smoke, either...
Community Veteran

I'm with artmo too.
Like shutter, I gave up about 25 years ago. Went cold turkey from 30 JPS Kingsize to zilch on one April 1st. Cool
Now, I can't stand the smell of ciggies!  Angry
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Passive smoking is known to be a killer as much as actual smoking.
When passive smoking is discussed Roy Castle is often sited as an example. He was a non-smoker but spent a lot of time entertaining in clubs where smoking was allowed. He died of lung cancer.
Fixes: 125

I don't like smoking and hate the smell of cigarette smoke. I'm forever asking SWMBO to spray some smelly stuff around even though she only smokes in the conservatory or garden. It seems to follow her in and hang on her clothes.
Having said that I respect her wish to continue smoking but at over £7 a packet of 20 it seems such a waste of money.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Scott
I'm more than willing to scout out Toronto should it be required.

Careful, Bell Canada might buy out Plusnet if you did.... Shocked
They've already swallowed up their own independent ISPs such as Ontera based out of North Bay.... Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Build a 120 foot tall red brick chimney with a gateway at the bottom for the smokers. Sheffield used to have one or two chimneys. You could even write PlusNet down the side as a giant advert.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

We have a shelter behind the building.  It's a bit of a further walk though, so the smokers appear to just like being cold Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm a big believer in civil liberties and the right for citizens to go to perdition in their own way  Smiley
I remember when a child in my parents pub you couldn't see from one side of the room to the other. Extractor fans were a revolution  Cheesy
But seriously do you the PC brigade think people need protecting from themselves. I never knew anybody that through breathing smoke from a smouldering wedge of leaves was good for your health even in the fifties.  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Prior to retiring  the place where I worked had a smokers room. Those who smoked  frequently went there once in the morning and again in the afternoon for approximately 15 minutes but those who did not smoke were then left to answer the phones and deal with other enquiries that came in,  as time went on smoking was eventually banned on the premises followed by a ban on the public highway at the entrance to the premises.
It is not uncommon  when visiting the local hospital to see in patients smoking at the hospital entrance dressed in pyjamas & dressing gown irrespective of the weather or condition they are suffering from.
Put bluntly nicotine is a drug and there is no difference between those who smoke and those who take hard drugs except those on hard drugs are likely to die quicker but both groups will often meet a painful end