cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hacked? Again

Ben_Nevis

Plusnet Hacked? Again

The reason for asking is that I (along with hundreds of others according to 'Who is calling me' am being persistently called by someone purporting to be PlusNet from telephone number 0114 307 3836

18 REPLIES
RealAleMadrid
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Plusnet Hacked? Again

It actually is a marketing call from PlusNet and they may ask you for personal information which is not acceptable as you have no way of confirming the source of the call. There is at least one long thread about this on the forum somewhere suggesting more secure ways of contacting existing customers but in the usual PlusNet style they continue with these dodgy calls.Angry

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

No - they are have not been hacked - this is a perfectly legitimate number (admittedly a marketing company) which Plusnet use to contact people who have given their phone number out - on such as comparison sites when searching for broadband suppliers, or have not marked their communication preferences to exclude telephone.

Ooops @RealAleMadrid beat me to it!

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes with all the scams going on of late, I would give no personal details whatsoever.
Parents keep getting "This is BT, there is a problem with your broadband".

I would say from anyone claiming to be PlusNet, "Give me the customer service number, and I will call you back". If it is legit they would know it. Then double check it is the right number on their website.

Fair enough PlusNet want to advertise and attract business - every company does. Though I don't think it is quite the right way to go about it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Alex, personally I wouldn't ask them for the C/s number, you never know what they might give you that suits them. Look it up yourself. And definitely never let them connect to a number for you. That's an old scam call trick.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yep but my point is, let them read it out to you, write it down - end the call.

Then check it is is valid. Personally I would ignore what they have said, and call PlusNet back and say "You called me". Then give out details.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had one the other day from an 0200 number, saying they were calling from my ISP!
Just blocked the number.

If PN want to call me then they need to give me a name I recognise.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So what is the legal position if you tell a marketing company to remove all your details from their files and not to contact you again ?

Surely the data protection act must offer you some protection in that a company must have good reason to hold personal details about you ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My Sipgate system allows me to program the call handling for incoming calls. When that (PlusNet) marketing call visits my phone they may find a 40 minute wait in a call queue interrupted with bursts of "There's no Adairs free to take your call at the moment, please wait in the queue and we'll get to you as quickly as we can."

Edit: added PlusNet ref.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Champnet
Rising Star

We use a call blocker, now we never receive any calls - ever.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I have email communication ONLY selected, and believe me, if I get any phone calls next February, the person on the other end will be firmly told: 'I specified no phone calls, and this one is terminated - goodbye'

John
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

AlaricAdair wrote:

... a 40 minute wait in a call queue interrupted with bursts of "There's no Adairs free to take your call at the moment, please wait in the queue and we'll get to you as quickly as we can."

Surely you'd want to start your message with, "Your call is important to us (that's why we are keeping you waiting for an unacceptably long time)", and "All Adairs are busy helping other scammers at this time".

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nah, just for the Plusnet marketeers number.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I had one the other day from an 0200 number, saying they were calling from my ISP!
Just blocked the number.

I would ask them which ISP are you calling from and which one do I use.  They should know that of course.

I did that when my parents get these calls - asked for which division on BT they were calling from, person said "I don't understand" and hung up.

I am looking forward to the next one to wind them up Tongue. I know I am being jokey there, but I guess it is not funny for people that get scammed. For me, my mum is elderly and these scammers get on my nerves - so I think "If you're going to waste our time, I'll do it with yours".

May play it better this time, when they ask to switch the computer on - say the computer is slow (even if it isn't). Any link they ask me to follow, I will say it is not working (I won't try it, but pretend I have done), generally appear to have zero IT knowledge, and make up lots of fictitious problems as to why I can't do what they want to waste their time.

"What's a browser?".
"What's an icon?".
"How do I launch the browser?".
"What's a web address?".
"I can't see where to type the address in.".

The list is endless Smiley

Pete11
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

So what is the legal position if you tell a marketing company to remove all your details from their files and not to contact you again ?

I used a trick learned from a t.v. prog (forgot the name of it) but it worked a treat. When a so-called company phones you, explain that the call is being recorded and make it clear that you are not interested in whatever it is they're trying to sell you and if they phone you again you will invoice them at £10 per minute (plus v.a.t.) for wasting you're 'valuable' time. 

I did this and got no more calls from that company.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.